opinions on siphon / vacuums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lindavon

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I'm getting ready to set up a new tank. I know I'll need a vacuum and/or siphoning device for tank maintenance. I see that there are both power and manual devices. My tank will be 55 gallon, planted, located appx 20' from a sink or exterior door. Any opinions on what I should get. Not sure if the powered devices would be overkill for my situation. Thanks.

Also planning to use vinegar and razor blade to clean the mineral deposits from the top of the used tank I have, any better methods?

Welcome to AA glad you found us here :) I would go with a python which will make filling up 100x easier. Also you can extend it very easily by going to your local hardware store and buying the appropriate diameter hose and fitting.

Python or Aqueon. They are both awesome. Couldn't live without mine. Amazon has the best prices

Thanks all!!

Thanks for the input. More questions to follow. I've had aquariums in the past but not planted and apparently just got very lucky that they did so well. This time I have more resources to get it right....thanks to folks like you.

For the mineral deposits. Put some cloths in the vinegar(white) and squeeze them out until they are damp. Put them on the deposits and leave then over night or while your at work. Get a Razor wallpaper scrapper in your local hardware store and the the deposits will come off no problem..Give a good rinse and your sorted....Ian

+1 for python. Both brands work the same, changing water will never be the same once you get one. Welcome to AA!!

Back
Top Bottom