Opinions on tank stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fuzzlebug

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi first time posting, anyway bout a year ago I got myself a 400litre tank and decided to get myself sum big fish, preferably the not-so-common type. So id n went 2 Rafael catfish(5inch each) 2 snakeskin gouramis(6-7inch) 2 green sevrums( 5-7inch) big pleco(10inch+ from a friends tank) and my pride and joy, a lovely(and rare in the UK) datnoid pulcher(5-7inch). However I was way over my head, firstly I did the weekly water changes, but at the same time I completely scrubbed the filter media(i now know how bad thus was) and I never cycled my tank in the first place . Tbh I'm amazed the fishies lasted as long as they did. But somehow everything seemed fine, all were eating and growing well. But this was not to last, I went away for 5days, and when I got home my heater malfunctioned and went into boil mode! The water was nearly 40 degrees C! There were casualties, both gouramis a Rafael and worst if all the big dat:( after thus I sold the tank, but I am back with a vengeance! Watch this space for updates haha.

Sent from my HTC Desire C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm going for atleast 400litres, the dimensions will be at least 4x2x2. Iv got an idea of the direction im goin to go in, with those tank sizes in mind what do you suggest would be a good tank stock, really just wanting to hear other people's opinions incase iv missed any good fish ideas,

Oh, so the same size tank?

Well that's around 105 gallons so you got a ton of room. Personally, I have always dreamed about a two specific tanks, and amazon themed community, and a lake malawi cichlid tank. Unfortunately I don't know much about african cichlids so this is my plan for the amazon:

- 1 angel
- 25 rummynose tetras
- 10 bloodfin tetras
- 16 neon tetras
- 6 bleeding heart tetras
- 6 otocinclus vittatus
- 12 false julii corys
- pair of appistogramma cacatuoides
- pair of bolivian rams

It would be heavily planted with a good bit of driftwood. It'd have lots of activity and tons of color, and wouldn't be overstocked. I would have 2 AC70s and 1 AC40. That would be more than enough filtration. The real trouble would be lighting...

I noticed you have "10g planted tank coming soon" in your signature. Could you do a 20 long? It would give you almost 3x the stocking ability over a 10g. OS.

If your doing an African tank, a school of Congo tetras would be beautiful.

Iv seen some really great cichlid tanks but not sure if they are for me, I would really like to try a big catfish rank and go from there, provably not going to do a 105 gallon catfish tank, but in the future...but as fat as this tank is concerned I'm torn between a vibrant community, but that would mean it would be fairly common fish, or just a few big unusual guys, but then it would be kinda limited in what could go in

Sorry OS, I don't really have the room for that plus I already have it set up I just need to stock it and plant it. It's kinda been a long process but I'm working on it here and there.

Back
Top Bottom