Optimal size of fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nevermind, 120 higher is 24 deep

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi PB_smith,

I am just trying to ensure that I understand you correctly. It is better to have a deeper tank rather than longer?

The 120 and 125 are pretty much the same height. The 120 is 6" deeper, but the 125 is 2' longer. I thought the 2' would allow the cichlids more distance rather than the 6".

Thank you for your help. I am learning a lot.

Then I am assuming the dimensions of the 120 are 48"x24"x24" and the 125 is 72"x"18"x24", correct?

I wasn't considering the 24x24 size as I thinking of the tanks and assumed the 120 was at least 60" long.
In this instance, because of the width vs length of the 120, you actually get more square inches of surface area with the 125; 1152 vs 1296.

so I spoke too soon and the 125 would probably be the better choice.

Thank you PB_smith. I got the same math as you.

I found a 125g on Craigslist with a 30g sump. I have no experience with a sump. Does this replace a normal filter or canister? Anyone have any experience or tips?

Can a 120g have the same w and h, but a different length? Wouldn't that change the gallons?

Yup, it would be different
easy to figure out;

Width x Height x Length divided by 231 gives volume in gallons.(y)

I just bought a 125 gallon tank with a 30g sump. I can't wait to set it up this weekend.

I am starting to research what SA/CA cichlids I can eventually add to the tank. I currently have 1 Green terror, 1 green severum, 1 black convict, and 2 fire mouths (not a pair). Aw advisor states that I am currently at about 70%.

Not sure if I should add a pink or black convict or add more fire mouths or something new (blue acara, salvini, or any other suggestions)?

All feedback welcome.

Get 2 x 75 G locally and put the GT and Con in one with some silver dollars and a couple of catfish and put the 2 Firemouths and Severum in the other with some giant Danios and a couple of catfish.

EDIT: oh, too late...!

Personally I wouldn't take aq advisor too literally, it's a bit daft.
You might be good to stick with what you have in a 125G but could maybe put a female Salvini in. Might get breeding issues though if your con is male. Adding more cons or Firemouths might also lead to breeding issues and a BA might breed or not get on with the GT.

Really the rest of the space might be best used up with Silver Dollars or catfish.

I will look in the silver dollars. By catfish are you referring to Cories? I had Cory fish in my tank before with these cichlids and all them lost their eyes.

No, corys won't last. Larger synodontis really.

You brought up some very important breeding issues. I did not know that a salvini could breed with a con.

Would there be any breeding issues with a EBJD or Texas with my current stock?

You brought up some very important breeding issues. I did not know that a salvini could breed with a con.

Would there be any breeding issues with a EBJD or Texas with my current stock?

In my 2 experiences with salvini it will more likely kill the con before breeding with it. Mine were fine for a short time then over night would go on a killing spree. My carpintis was twice his size and woke me up at 2am trying to jump out of the tank while the salvini was shredding its tail.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom