Optimum Canister Filter Spray Bar/Inlet Configuration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stooker

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all, I recently set up an Eheim Classic 2215 in my 20g high. I want to optimize the configuration, so I was wondering if there is good guidance on this.

I currently have it set up in what seems to be the most popular way - spray bar is horizontal on the back glass, about a half inch below the water level, and spraying directly foward. The inlet is in the back corner about an inch above gravel substrate. Detritus is moving pretty good but a lot of times stuff passes right by the inlet, sometimes within less than an inch from it (I do see a lot get sucked up, too, though). Some stuff just circles back and forth in the tank and never seems to settle. It either eventually snags on something or (hopefully) gets sucked into the filter.

Is this best configuration to maximize the detritus getting sucked up? Or, if not, what has worked best in your experience? Flow is on full at the moment, and I'd prefer not to slow it down because I want to maintain the turnover rate.

Or is this just the way it is and I need to trust that most of the stuff will make it to the filter and anything remaining will be vacuumed up during WCs?

Sorry if this is a newbie question, but it's my first canister and I don't know what the expectation is.

You could try putting the spray bar on the side of the aquarium so it pushes from one end to the end where the inlet is. Or look into getting a powerhead to direct the water even further after being pushed down by the spraybar.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom