Oranda with swim bladder..would this work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shany

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hope someone has some input. I have a recently purchased Oranda that has swim bladder. She is still able to swim upright for the most part but has to fight it to keep her head from going down.
I fasted her for 3 days and then started the green peas for the past 3 days. So far she is not any better. :-( I currently have her in my QT tank, 30gallons. I also decreased the water level in the tank to assist with her swimming. One thing I have not tried is Epsom salt, which I will today.
My idea is this. I just read online that a Vet sutured a cork to an oranda's dorsal fin to help her stay afloat. I don't really want to suture the poor fish but what about using super glue and attaching a little piece of cork to both sides of her dorsal? Would the super glue hurt her and also do you think this would help her stay afloat and be able to eat?
I would appreciate any input. Thanks!

addendum

This is what I found online where at vet had sutured a cork to the dorsal fin. Just wondering about using super glue instead...

[FONT=&quot]Ask The Vet[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Q.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] I have a goldfish with swimbladder disease. I have tried peas and antibiotics but she has been at the top upside down for 6 weeks. Otherwise she is fine. I have to put her in a bowl to feed her otherwise she can't get the food before it sinks. I think she needs to have air extracted from her swimbladder with a syringe, but I can't find an aquatic veterinarian. What should I do to help her? -- Deborah R., Bristol, DK[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] If you cannot find a local Vet willing to help you out, you may need to attempt this one yourself. Some of these cases are actually a displaced air bladder rather than just a "full" air bladder and require surgery to suture back into place. I remember a Vet many years ago actually sutured a cork to the dorsal fin of a fish to compensate for the buoyancy. I unfortunately do not have a good answer for your problem. Any aquariums in your area, they usually have an aquatic Vet on payroll. Good luck. -- Dr. Mirch[/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom