Orange Von Rio Flame Tetra Gender Determination?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrWhite

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello... I am new to this community. I am usually more of a research guy instead of ask questions, but it seems that there is very limited information about orange von rio tetras (OVR tetras). I got 3 orange von rio tetras couple days ago from Petsmart (I would get a few more, but I want to know how to determine sex at least, because I am interested in breeding them as they are easy), and they are showing their true color after being in my tank for a couple of days (orange front and redish pink back). But still, I was unable to tell if they are females or males. I was trying to find some pictures of a male and female of OVR tetra, but there just isn't any. There are multiple sources saying different things, such as dark red anal fin, black tip on pectoral fin, fat vs skinner, etc, and I really don't know which one is the correct way to determine their gender. I am beginning to think maybe orange von rio has different gender determination than the red flame tetra (which has two black strips at the frontal half instead of the bright orange color).

It seems my 2 of flame tetras have characteristics of both gender: roundish front (female indicator) but dark red anal fin and lack of black tip (male indicator). My other flame tetra which looks slightly leaner (male indicator) also has dark red anal fin, but his color feels more pale than the other two (female indicator). So basically, I am super confused, and beginning to think maybe they are all males.

So yeah, is there any one who has a lot of experience at keeping AND breeding orange von rio tetras that can give me some powerful insight on this please? Pictures will be very much appreciated. :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom