Orange von rios

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tfp

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Any advice would be helpful. I have failed at goldfish and after a long break, my daughters and I have started a new tank. I have a 20 gallon and I started off with 3 orange von rio tetras. I had the orange rios for a week and had my water tested and was cleared to add more fish. Today my daughters picked 2 guppies and we were advised the fish should do well together. Unfortunately, my orange rios appear to be attacking the guppies. I checked on the fish after dinner and one of the guppies had a piece of its tail missing. Not sure what I should do. I have no other heated tank to move the fish to.
Thanks

tfp said:
Any advice would be helpful. I have failed at goldfish and after a long break, my daughters and I have started a new tank. I have a 20 gallon and I started off with 3 orange von rio tetras. I had the orange rios for a week and had my water tested and was cleared to add more fish. Today my daughters picked 2 guppies and we were advised the fish should do well together. Unfortunately, my orange rios appear to be attacking the guppies. I checked on the fish after dinner and one of the guppies had a piece of its tail missing. Not sure what I should do. I have no other heated tank to move the fish to.
Thanks

Hi!
I'm not familiar with those tetras exact behaviors but to curb nipping and aggression in schooling species usually the best thing to do is add more to create more of a school. It is advised to keep tetras in schools of 6 or more of their own kind. If that doesn't work it would be best to rehome the guppies or tetras.
The guppies tails will grow back with clean water and time.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html
Here is the getting started guide. It explains the importance of cycling, how to and routine maintenance.

Reactions: tfp
Welcome to the site! Sorry about your guppies.
I agree with what Mumma said. Sometimes schooling fish can be nippy and nasty if they are not kept in a full school. I personally have not heard of von Rios causing problems with other fish before, but thats my best guess about what is going on.
Make sure you read the guide Mumma posted. Its very helpful. :)

Hey There,

I have some von rios and have not had this problem. Mine are in a 55gal with blue rams, black neons, corry cats, and a opaline gourami. They do chase each other a lot, but I haven't noticed nipping. I was only able to start with 4 however, and until I was able to increase the school too 8, they would not school and seemed more aggitated. Good luck to you

A lot of tetras will nip flowing fins. The orange von rios are great fish though and generally peaceful. I agree that adding a few more to allow for a proper school should reduce the nipping.

Thank you to those that gave me some great advice. What a nice community you have here and very helpful. I'm happy to report that all my fish are still alive and don't appear anymore wounded. I have bought my fish and sought advice from an actual aquarium store not a place like petsmart so I am a bit upset that they did not encourage me to get more orange von rios instead of another type of fish - but oh well. It's amazing I find myself on a site like this worried about fish when this adventure started out with a goldfish and 5 gallon tank (bought at petsmart) for my daughter's birthday. Again, thank you very much for caring to respond.
Theresa

Back
Top Bottom