Order glass sheets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm partial to Seagrams to celebrate ?

29 gallon community tank with mollies and corys
10 gallon temporary tank for a sick baby Oscar named Audrey

What kind of sealant am I gonna need?

The only one I've ever used is made by DAP. I got it at Home Depot and this is what the package looked like last time it got it. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411784212.707267.jpg
It's much cheaper than what any aquatic store sells. The only thing that is the biggest importance is it MUST say AQUARIUM SAFE !!!! Here's the actual Home Depot product link. http://m.homedepot.com/p/DAP-2-8-oz-Silicone-Aquarium-Sealant-00688/100128841

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Perfect I'll pick that up monday!

And yes that's it! It's either that or Jameson or merlot ☺️

Now what filter do I order? I'm thinking a sunsun for the price?

Will I need more than one tube?

My fiancé is gonna kill me for this....

Oh, Jameson ???? Nice !!!! My kinda people lol. I'm not familiar with Sunsun products. I run all Fluval canisters on my tanks but it's just a preference thing.

I'd definitely get at least two, maybe three (I'll double check what others say) just to be safe as thats a good size tank. You don't want to run out in the middle of this project. You may also want to pick up one of these http://m.homedepot.com/p/DAP-PRO-Caulk-Caulking-Tool-Kit-4-Piece-09125/100666143/ to help spread the sealant. I used it a couple times but eventually wound up using a finger in the last one.

Hopefully the fiancé doesn't kill you. You've got a bit of work ahead of you and I want to see results, lol.

I have to find a stand or I gotta build that too lol. I wish I could just plop it on my dresser... He is certainly gonna have choice words over this and is probably gonna make a wisecrack about taking back the ring lol.

The sun sun is rated at 525gph so that should be fine right? I run them with matrix and purigen

Don't buy silicone in a squeeze tube. Get one for a caulking gun. Price is about the same but you get a lot more and it is much easier to apply. Also I would recommend you get a pair or two of nitrile gloves (really thin stretchy blue ones). This will keep your fingers clean and avoid tainting the silicone with skin oils.

I have nitrile gloves :) and I do have a caulking gun. A gun is better than the squeeze tube?

A gun is 100 times better than a squeeze tube. It will allow for a much neater, more consistent bead. I sealed a tank that size with a little less than 1 tube. You don't need or want a really thick bead for the fillet. Do locate the source of the leak. From that you can determine whether you should do more than reseal. if you haven't done much caulking or feel a little intimidated, you can buy some really cheap caulk and practice on a cardboard box. Plan your job, do a dry run with the gun and have a helper handy to help roll the tank. You want all the silicone in before you smooth it.

I kinda thought I should remove all the silicone and reseal it all.... Bad plan?

I might be able to get a 55 with a stand and hood for free from my fiancé's friend. Should I still do the 90? Or would the 55 be ok for an Oscar for about a year?

Bill brings up excellent points about a caulking gun. I did not use one when I did mine as they were smaller tanks. It is best to remove the old sealant as the new stuff will generally not stick to the old stuff.

I would still use the 90 for the Oscar, but if you can get the 55 and items for free, I would snatch those up in a heartbeat. The Oscar would do much better in the 90.

I might do the 55 for a year until we have our own house. We live in a complex now renting from my father.

Is that an ok plan? I want her happy and comfortable and I do twice weekly water changes

Is that an ok plan? I want her happy and comfortable and I do twice weekly water changes

It could work. Personally I'd prefer the bigger tank as most recommend at least 70 gallons for an oscar. If you do go the 55, I would add another WC in each week.

I would get plexiglass it is easier to work with , temper glass is ok for a tank but you can't cut it
plexi glass is less likly to brake if your oscar slams into it or kncks a rock into it but it does scratch

Next question.... The 55 is 16" wide and 48" long.... Can this possibly sit on a dresser? I'm just trying to think where it's best to fit this.

Back
Top Bottom