Oscar Changing Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DonnBallenger

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently purchased and cycled a brand new 75 gallon tank. The temperature, pH and overall chemistry of both tanks are reading the same, so I'm ready for the next step: getting my 9" oscar into his new home.

First off, I don't want to net him. Last time I moved him when he was about 4" into his current home, he freaked out pretty bad. I believe this was mostly due to the fact that I had to chase him around the tank with the net. I'm not sure it would be safe for me to just reach in there and grab him either, as he would definatly not take kindly to this sort of treatment.

His only tankmate is a 6" long common pleco (although, I'd imagine that his pal the pleco will eventually end up in my friend's 150 gallon). The pleco is more mild-mannered than the oscar and didn't seem to mind being netted for the last move. I'd like to hear from some veterns of keeping larger breeds that have moved them when they are close to full size as my aquatic friend is now.

I had to use a koi net to move mine, but it was pretty stressful. I think herding him into a small bucket and transferring that way would be easier.

Plecos should not be netted at all, because they can get themselves caught on the mesh. Someone here had the ingenious idea of taking a clean, empty cardboard gallon ice cream container and cut a hole in the lid. Leave the lid on and place the container in the tank. Remove all the decor and the pleco will dive into the container looking for cover. Voila!

Netting large fish can be stressful for both the fish and the owner. Still, it's the safest way to move your fish. You could easily hurt the fish by trying to grab it with your hands.

I never heard of the ice cream container for moving plecos Mosaic. That's very cool. No pun intended. LOL

DonnBallenger - use a bucket or a large clear fish bag, you can also use the 5gallon blue water jugs if you cut the top off, but either way you go the water will make the container heavy. I used a large clear plastic aquarium bag to move my Black Aro (he was about 22inches) and just used a large net to move my 10-11 inch Flowerhorn (who was eventually killed by the Midas) and a 12-13 inch Midas. Whatever method just make sure you have it planned in your head how your going to do it and drain the water about half-way in the tank you are removing your oscar from and have the other tank top open that he will be goin into. Good luck and keep us update on the move.

I drained the water half way and herded him into a 3 gallon rubbermaid bucket. he was pretty pissed when i tipped the bucket up and he realized he had been tricked, and started thrashing around and slinging water all over the place. I eased the bucket into the new tank (which i had drained to 3/4ths as a safety measure) and he shot out of the bucket and into his new home. I basically used the same method for the pleco, but being the nosy little guy he is, as soon as the bucket went into the water, he was inside looking for a snack. No snacks in there, little buddy. They have both made the transition rather nicely and I can already tell that my oscar is much happier with all that open room to swim. As for the pleco...well...he's not exactly mr. entertainment, but now he has plenty of room to grow and lots of new stuff to suck on.

Quick off topic question....

Since the new tank has been established less than a month, there's not really much for the pleco to eat. I've been giving him lettuce (which the oscar eats half of the time) and celery as a supplement, but how long does it usually take to get a good coat of algae for him to munch on? Until this move, I've never had to feed the guy....he just eats all day and keeps getting bigger and bigger....

Do you have live plants in the tank? If not, just run the lights longer than you normally would and that should help (just hope you're fully cycled, else GW could be in your future).

Another option which I found to be very effective and not cause as many problems as the above mentioned might would be to get a desk lamp and put it next to one of the sides. You'll get a nice small patch of algae on the glass right at that spot which the pleco can munch on.

Some algae wafers might be good as well as the lettuce to make sure he's getting ample nutrients.

Or head over to the general discussion section and check out my thread on making your own food. I'd bet he'd love a batch of that (and so would your Oscar).

No live plants. I had a few lilies and some amazon swords, but between the pleco munching on them and the oscar uprooting them, they didn't last more than a few weeks. I have the lights set on a 12hrs on 12hrs off timer right now. would it be okay to go to 14 on 10 off or is that too much?

i'll definitely check out the thread about making your own food. at the rate these two monsters are growing, saving a buck or two on food can't be a bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom