Oscar tank : 40g breeder vs 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ultimatedc

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, the dimensions of a 40g breeder are

36 x 18 x 16

and a 55 is

48 x 13 x 20

Now, bare minimum, people suggest an oscar be placed in a 55 gallon. I don't understand though, why can't a 4d i0g be suitable? You get an extra foot in length, an extra four inches in height, and you lose inches in width. Now, a common oscar reaches anywhere from 10-15", in the typical home aquarium. I can understand the oscar appreciating the extra foot of swimming room, but how could a 14" oscar turn around comfortably in a 55 gallon? Wouldn't you forgo width for length, and if not, why?

The conclusion I've reached is the determining factor in a 40 vs a 55 is water quality. Of course an oscar will foul 40g worth of water very quickly, so above and beyond adequate filtration and water changes are needed. This is acceptable.

I ask this because I have an oscar in a 40g breeder tank. I've had him for a while and we've developed a bond or sorts, one that I heard oscars and their owners do. He readily greets me every time I step into the room (for food, of course) follows my movement, and even eats from my hand. He is about 5.5", relativly juvenile, but I have watched him grow and I actually consider him to be a pet.

I've been considering upgrading to a 55g, but I'm not entirely sure I want to spend that amount of money if it is perfectly feasible for my oscar to grow and mature in a 40g with the proper maintenence.

Can I get some feedback/insight?

I prefer 40b's over 55g's because of surface area. A 40b has more to work with than a 55. A fully grown oscar would def be cramped in a 40b but at least he could turn around easier lol.

I would think a 75+ would be the minimum.

I did a lot of research prior to purchasing an oscar, and although 55 was the "bare minimum" a 75g was, for all intents and preferences, universally suitable.

I understand he would be cramped, but I've grown attached to him and honestly don't feel comfortable giving him away. I'm sure one day I'll purchase a 55, but as it is, the 40g is here to stay. The main problem I have is that the floorboards in my bedroom, or whatever is under my carpet, aren't level. I hear it's a common thing in house modeling, something maybe to do with water, or some crap, I don't know.

I don't feel entirely comfortable with a 40g tank on an unlevel floor, more-so a 55. One end of the stand is sitting on two cardboard boxes and it's still kinda out of whack -_-

With fish like these easily hitting the 14" mark, trust me I have two, Water quality plays a huge role in fish health and development, with SA/CA fish being prone to diseases like HITH/HLLE from poor water quality. My personal recommendation is a 75g minimum, same foot print just deeper, but to each their own. Being your fish is only 5.5" your only scratched the surface of how messy these fish really are. Imagine him being 14" and with little to no swimming room, basically just floating without actually swimming, try swimming in a jaccuzzi. I kept a my breeding pair in a 75g while laying eggs and with two Fluval 405's and two 50% weekly water changes to keep nitrates below 20ppm, now I understand that's two fish but cut in half. Even with a 55g your in for at least one 50% change maybe more depending on filtration. Trust me for the health and well being of your fish get him a 4ft tank at the minimum.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom