oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennymit21

Aquarium Advice Freak
i've never had an oscar before, but someone offered me one for free yesterday b/c he is moving (tank not included). he's not full grown yet and he's 5-6 inches long right now. Prob is .. my only empty established tank is a 20 gal tall...will this work for now until i can get something bigger?

Only if you're getting a tank in the within 3 days I'd say. I have an adult Oscar and he's in a 55 which I think is too small for him and he's a very active fish. They dig around in the gravel all the time and rearange any nice aquascaping you've ever done. I'd get a 75 or larger aquarium and get it soon and stock it with some other South American Cichlids.

Just my 2 cents. A 20g would be fine to house a 5 inch oscar for a while. As he grows, you'll need to decide if you want to provid larger quarters, or give him away. :D

I agree with Andy. Get a minimum 75g and put the oscar in that ASAP-- in a 20g "tall" tank you risk stunting the growth and very quickly (months) will have to deal with the volume of waste created by these adorable, if rather gigantic cichlids.

Back
Top Bottom