:( oscars are mean.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
some shops have an "on holiday" option, mine does.
i actually meant for u to give it to them and get an oscar later on when you have adequate housing.
unless u r very attatched, in which case the 20 will have to do for as long as possible. but that wont b very long im sorry to say, u may have to find ways to raise money, like garage sale or doin an event. anything sellable? is it worth more than keeping the oscar? x

Lots of research and care should be taken when selecting fish even more so when it's a large cichlids. This is a case of when research should have been done and not trust the advice of LFS.

Upgrade ASAP or see if someone will adopt him permanently or temporally. Make sure to do lots of water changes to keep the water conditions pristine and feed high quality pellets.

If you are shooting for a 55 make sure the filters can turn over the water 10-12 times per hour Oscars are messy fish. You will still need to do 2-3 or more 50% water changes a week to keep conditions good and prevent Hole in the head and lateral line disease.

Also oscars eat and need quiet a bit of vegtable matter in their diet. Plus they seem to be somewhat clumsy, avoid over decorating the tank, and avoid those glass heaters. Or glass thermomiters for that matter. I found out that I had to use a night light to keep mine from hurting himself by suddling darting into the side of the aquarium in the middle of the night. (Bad dream?)

Well you have him now, returning him doesn't guarentee he will get a good home, and it sounds like your going to do your best to provide for his needs. We've all made beginner .mistakes but youre in a great place to learn and your heart is in the right place

The girls have been moved! He is much happier. I can tell already. Water change 2morrow after work I think. If anyone can answer this question, if I have city water and the water he is in has been treated to remove the chlorine, do I have to treat the new water? Or can I just leave it in an open container for 24 so the chlorine evaporated out?

oscarchic11 said:
The girls have been moved! He is much happier. I can tell already. Water change 2morrow after work I think. If anyone can answer this question, if I have city water and the water he is in has been treated to remove the chlorine, do I have to treat the new water? Or can I just leave it in an open container for 24 so the chlorine evaporated out?

You need to find out if your city water contains chloramines if it doesn't then you can just stick an Airstone in some water and let sit for 24 hours. However if it dose contain chloramines then you will have to use a dechlorinator like Prime.

Yea I would call or check the website, however I alway use Prime to be safe. Prime is super concentrated and one bottle lasts awhile.

Ok. I will prob have to wait a few days to get it. Just spent the last of my check on my girls and lost my h2o conditioner.

It sounds like you have the right idea. Don't get discouraged we were ALL beginners at one point in time. Some of us are still at that level and some need to remember they were once beginners as well. Now you you have the correct info and some pointers, see what you can do!!

He already looks happier and is back to his usual self, coming to the surface to play with my finger and be petted. Is it normal for his color to change drastically? When I play with him he gets brighter, but if he wants to play and I don't let him he gets dark gray blotches and black stripes on his fins and tail, like he is mad or something.

haha aaangry oscar. check out youtube for the angry oscars, they are really quite funny when their mouths are open at you.
thats prob a characteristic - colour to show personality and mood. its great he feels better :)

He is supposed to be albino tho. Where is he pulling the greys and black from?

albino oscars arent truly albino in many cases, just white with markings and normal pigmentation underneath. (according to google!)
if not then i have no idea :)

Ok. He is so much happier. Doesn't do the open mouth thing when he is mad, but I just think its cause he is still a baby. I'm hoping to have the new tank inside 2 weeks. Depends on how much my paychecks are.

Fingers and toes. And I'm def buying more water conditioner Thursday after I get my check. And doing a 50% water change.

Good luck=) oscar's are great fish to have as a pet, it sucks the pet shop gave you that info and you lost some fish, oscars will try to fit anything in their mouths, even if its too big, with my 55 gallon and a single Oscar I have to do 2 50% water changes every week, sometimes 3 to keep the water perfect, he's moving into a 110 gallon soon. hope it all works out for you

When I play with him he gets brighter, but if he wants to play and I don't let him he gets dark gray blotches and black stripes on his fins and tail, like he is mad or something.
i think you have a lutino oscar! check it out! its basically albino with grey/brown on body/fins.(y)

I did a 60% water change and cleaned his rocks. No way to test my water, so I'm just gonna do 40-50% qwc every other day.

Back
Top Bottom