oscars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmg07

Aquarium Advice Freak
hi ive never had oscars or cichlids of any type and i was wondering would you be able to have a tiger oscar, a albino or pink watever it is oscar, and a red oscar in a 75 gal with 2 common plecos. Also would i be able to have any other fish in the tank.thanks everyone. or should i get rid of 1 or both plecos

No. A 75G is minimum for 1 oscar and not large enough for even one common pleco. The plecos can become monsters.

Attachments

• nickv_pleco_072806.jpg
    nickv_pleco_072806.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 136
how big is your pleco? and how big are the oscars? you could put other fish in there but eventually when the oscars are full grown you probally have to get rid of them.

i had 2 oscars a few years ago in a 55,with a jack dempsey 2 convicts,and 1 firemouth,the oscars always left the other fish alone.once they were too big for the tank i sold them on craigslist.that is what is great about fish compared to other pets,when they get too big you can sell them and start over.sounds cold but i figure get the fish you want and enjoy it while you can

ok well first i guess ill get rid of my plecos because i didnt relize they got that big and there both about 7in. and i changed my mind about oscars and how big and mean they get

i had 2 oscars a few years ago in a 55,with a jack dempsey 2 convicts,and 1 firemouth,the oscars always left the other fish alone.once they were too big for the tank i sold them on craigslist.that is what is great about fish compared to other pets,when they get too big you can sell them and start over.sounds cold but i figure get the fish you want and enjoy it while you can

It's better to plan for the life of the fish IMHO. Pets (even "just fish") are not disposable.

No. A 75G is minimum for 1 oscar and not large enough for even one common pleco. The plecos can become monsters.

Walking on my canal here in florida I often see them much bigger than this. Mattar of fact i had one in my pond. He was about 2 1/2 foot. He was awsome. i will soon be ugrading our pond in the bac and putting my small common pleco in it so he can grow that big.:clown:

Very cool. A canal or pond sounds like a much better place for a pleco than a 48" x 18" x 20" tank. They simply should not be sold IMO.

It's better to plan for the life of the fish IMHO. Pets (even "just fish") are not disposable.

who said i disposed of them? i love my fish but when they get too big the best thing i can do is give/sell them to someone with a bigger tank.if i went by your guidelines i would have two mollys and a cherry shrimp wow thats what i just spent all that money for this tank on,3 fish? not trying to start a war of word but its just MHO

Everyone has there own opinion and thats ok. Of course unless you are just dumping them or treating them porly or unproperly, Thats just crool. As for my pleco i bought him before i really knew the hazards of keeping a common pleco. So now i am doing my best keeping him happy. That is why i am putting him in my pond. Kinda small now but will be upgraded soon. Also if i decide not to do that there is a guy i know that owns a local fish buisness setting up tanks in doctor offices and stuff. He really knows his stuff and takes care of his fish. So that is what i would do with my pleco.

who said i disposed of them? i love my fish but when they get too big the best thing i can do is give/sell them to someone with a bigger tank.if i went by your guidelines i would have two mollys and a cherry shrimp wow thats what i just spent all that money for this tank on,3 fish? not trying to start a war of word but its just MHO

The best thing you can do for your fish is to plan ahead for their adult size, and stock the tank accordingly. To buy a fish just to have until it outgrows the tank (which probably means it has stunted at this point) is treating it as "disposable."

To buy a fish just to have until it outgrows the tank (which probably means it has stunted at this point) is treating it as "disposable."

Disagree............. As long as a proper home is found there's nothing wrong with it. If they are being thrown in a lake or river then they would be "disposing" them.....

Disagree............. As long as a proper home is found there's nothing wrong with it. If they are being thrown in a lake or river then they would be "disposing" them.....

Would you say the same thing about me "growing out" a puppy or kitten? Not to mention the entire biological issue of stunting. When does it start? When do you decide it's "too big" and needs to be rehomed?

Would you say the same thing about me "growing out" a puppy or kitten? Not to mention the entire biological issue of stunting. When does it start? When do you decide it's "too big" and needs to be rehomed?

Dude, they are fish... They don't become attached to their handlers like said cat or dog. Do you still sleep in a crib or have you out grown that? LOL

If you are constantly buying oscars for your 10 gallon tank only to re-home them in a month or two, then you have a problem. If you are housing them in a 40 gallon and it happens to get a little crowded after 2 years of growth, then where is the problem?

I would guess that convict78 has a larger tank where he can care for the fish for a couple years....

IMHO.........

Dude, they are fish... They don't become attached to their handlers like said cat or dog. Do you still sleep in a crib or have you out grown that? LOL

If you are constantly buying oscars for your 10 gallon tank only to re-home them in a month or two, then you have a problem. If you are housing them in a 40 gallon and it happens to get a little crowded after 2 years of growth, then where is the problem?

I would guess that convict78 has a larger tank where he can care for the fish for a couple years....

IMHO.........
i really do think they become attached to the one who feeds them. my fish will follow me begging for food but not others. oscars have great personality. i think its easy to put anything down as its just as a reason to do what ever you wish. at least you are finding them homes. how do you make sure they have plenty of room and not over stocked? oscars not my thing so i could be wrong but i think a oscar should be close to full size adult by 2 years.

they can get up to 11" but there usually around 8"
talking about common plecos or oscars? both get larger then 11 inch.

I hope none of these people that buy a fish just to raise it until its too big for the tank that its in have kids. If youre not ready to commit to its life span dont buy it!

IMHO.........

If it's taking them 2 years to outgrow a 40G you are stunting them and damaging them for life. I realize that they are fish and no my name isn't "dude" nor do you know me well enough to refer to me by that. They are living creatures that we keep and warrant some level of respect. JMHO...

Back
Top Bottom