OTHER Aiptasia options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, here is my problem. I am feeling lazy and I have aiptasia up the wazzo.

BUT I can't add peppermints as this tank is now QT tank AND is also for sale, hoping for a sale within days actually.

I had zero aiptasia in there a month ago, then I found one. Simple, just used some Kalk paste adn away he went. Now I have them everywhere. On the glass, sand and covering every single inch of rock thats in there, even rubble. I only have a token amount in the tank, maybe 20lbs.

I'm not concerned about the live rock becomign dead rock, I have plenty of live rock already between my tanks. SO if I removed the infested rock and put it in an empty bucket would it kill them off? Or if I put it in a bucket full of straight water, no salt, would that kill them? I've heard of boiling them off but to be honest I don't wanna soil one of my pots doing that. I have no blow torch to burn them off either.

It would take hours if not days to kalk them all and some are quite small so I don't wanna risk them spreading even more.

Any suggestions? I don't plan on using this rock for my 90g btw, it is going with the tank when it sells.

Alos, can aiptasia sting fish or just corals? My tang thats in there now sleeps and hides under the rocks so I;m worried he's getting stung. :-(

Any help here would be appreciated!

thanks!

How about if I put them in a bucket and then add boiling water from a huge pot? Same effect I'd guess? They will die and the live rock will lose it's life so to speak correct? How long should I keep the rock out int he boiling water and then after that treatment how long til I can be sure they are all dead. These are some nasty little buggers. I have NO IDEA of how I got them. Didnt have them when it was a fully operational tank and havent added anything but the qt fish in months.

I'd do the boiling water and leave'm overnite. Maybe overkill, but why not? Boiling water and lack of oxygen. Double death. Then, for good measure I'd rinse in fresh water with a nylon brush to remove all the dead stuff.

Just my opinion. No scientific data to support that. :)

That sounds like a plan! I wanted some way to be SURE they would be dead before putting it back in the tank. I'm gonna kalk all the ones on the glass and sift out the ones in the sand so here's to hoping I;ll be aipatsia free in few days.

thanks so much for your input! I really appreciate you taking the time out to explain.

:-D

Back
Top Bottom