Oto behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish 'n' fries

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've just got my first otos (two of them). They've been in the tank for about 5 days now. I'm trying to supplement the algae with zucchini (which they do seem to eat) and algae wafers (which they don't). I've never had them before so don't know what's normal behavior. They're both occasionally sitting around cleaning the walls etc. (which is what I expected from them), but the one is quite often darting around the front of the tank. Is this normal or do I need to worry about this one? I don't see any signs of illness...he's just more active than I expected. Thanks.

While I can't give you a qualified opinion, I've had 4 for about a week now and while I can't tell them apart I do notice darting, lots of it. They also have been munching on waffers, I feed two different kinds, one standard algae waffer and one cory waffer both made by Hikari.

I'll have to watch them more closely, but mine are definitely eating algae off plants and waffers and darting.

What size tank is it? Could be they're just a bit bored. My schistura (notoriously hyperactive lol) did that too until I added lots more decor and hiding places and plants etc. to give them something to do.

My otos go through periods where they race around the tank. I think it is a game of chase for them. They have been doing it since I got them, don't think there is anything unusual about it.

I've had three of them for three weeks or so. They seem to have two modes: Race around like they are mad, and stand on their heads in the middle of the microsword.... What a life.

I feed algae wafers to my pleco but my 4 ottos don't bother with them. Probably because they have a tank full of huge amazons swords to suck on. They do occasionally race up to the tank surface.

I have 8 of them and at first the use to clean the glass but now they sit around do not do there job of cleaning lol and just swim around the bottom feeding on god knows what cause there just not eating my algae. I do have bottom feeders so I do put in flakes, algae wafers, sinking wafers, shrimp pellats

Thanks all--that's what I needed to hear. I think what worried me was that the two are so different (you know...instant control subject...). :) I'll go back to enjoying his antics and not worrying that they're something else!

Back
Top Bottom