Oto. Macrotocinclus. For beginners? Aggressive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
One stocking scheme I've really liked had dwarf loaches that turn out to be quite expensive and endangered. Would this Oto make an ok substitute? The sign at pet smart says they are 2", semi aggressive and "intermediate".

If I go with that stocking scheme it'd be something like:

zebra danios
Rosy barb (or similar, the book this scheme was in suggests pros fella and I don't like them)
Dwarf cories
Tiny Otos (these get to 2" it says)
Sparkling gourami (I'm looking into subbing tiny rainbow fish, a 3" variety).

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397221981.182411.jpg

Few Otos get that size. Zebra Otos are biggest I think ?

This is the only Oto that came close to that name ??
http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=105

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/genus.php?genus_id=49

Otos are completely peaceful. They are the only 100% shrimp safe fish ;)

BEWARE many stores sell Chinese Algae Eaters as Otos. CAE get big and nasty !! Look at pics so you can tell the difference. Otos are flattened a bit. They need an established tank. You can grow algae on smooth rocks in a shallow pan in a sunny window for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One stocking scheme I've really liked had dwarf loaches that turn out to be quite expensive and endangered. Would this Oto make an ok substitute? The sign at pet smart says they are 2", semi aggressive and "intermediate".

If I go with that stocking scheme it'd be something like:

zebra danios
Rosy barb (or similar, the book this scheme was in suggests pros fella and I don't like them)
Dwarf cories
Tiny Otos (these get to 2" it says)
Sparkling gourami (I'm looking into subbing tiny rainbow fish, a 3" variety).

View attachment 232780

Personally I'd not recommend sparkling gourami in that tank as they are often shy and slow moving, meaning they could have a hard time competing against the manic zebra danios for food.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macrotocinclus

It says they're one of the less hardy Otos however. That's great info about Otos (peaceful), I shall look further into them.

The book that suggested the sparkling gourami in this scheme acknowledged they are shy normally, but happy in this setup because everyone else is so little? The author seems to have tried the setup ... But I'll ask more questions and look more into it. That's a good reason not to replace some fish with more danios as I originally considered.

Otos are already as fragile as a sugar glass goblet so I can't imagine a "less hardy" Oto. They are cute, though. But they need a "mature" tank because they eat biofilm.

Well ok then! Not interested in fragile to be sure. I worked a bunch of ten hour days this week; that plus being on my own with an almost four year old, I'm thinking I need to not have anything that can't handle a little "I can't deal with that surprise till tonight."

Back
Top Bottom