Otocinclus and Corydora?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessicafennen

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been doing my research for a few months now on bottom feeders and algae eaters. So for the past 6 weeks I've had a 20 gallon tank with 4 platies running with great readings all the way around. There has been a fair amount of algae growth, and some food remains have made it to the bottom. The majority of corydoras are three or more inches, and I'm hoping to stick to a smaller fish. Plus, I'd have to get like five of them. With Otos being so sensitive and having a high death rate after the first month, I'm nervous about investing in them too.

Any advice or recommendations?

Pygmy Corys are super small, but not all LFS carry them. If yours does, or you don't mind ordering them through the mail, then they might be what you're looking for. FWIW, I have a school of 7 Panda Corys in a 20 Long... plenty of room as they are also a little smaller than a lot of the other species.

As far as the algae goes, one or two Nerite snails might be something to consider (depending on what kind of algae you have).

Other "clean up crew" options could include a Bristlenose Pleco or maybe some shrimp.
You'd need a hunk of driftwood for the Pleco and ideally some plants or a mossy area for the shrimp. Not sure what you have in your tank already. Both like hiding spots.

Keep in mind that you'll still need to provide specific food for all of these. Its not good to only let them have leftovers and tank algae.

Oh yes I have shrimp pellets for cories and algae wafers and romaine lettuce for otos. My 20 gallon has 4 platy, and some fry separated in a breeding box.

Oh yes I have shrimp pellets for cories and algae wafers and romaine lettuce for otos. My 20 gallon has 4 platy, and some fry separated in a breeding box.

Personally i would go for corys .. I have them in all my tanks and they do a superb job..if you want smaller corys go for the pandas they are smaller and look great too imo . Plecos are great fish but poop soooooo much ..
Ottos are fab too.. But mainly live off the bio film in the tank rather than eating leftovers .. I was given 2 and added another 5 ... All great but the tank they are in has been running for a couple of years..
Good luck x

I know some folks have had good success with otos. But I'm not one of those people. I've got some japanese trapdoor snails that do an okay job. They're nice in that they don't leave eggs everywhere.

What I really want is the pitbull pleco. They are oto-sized and algae eaters. And supposedly they are not sensitive like otos. ...but I can't find the dang things, even online. Based on my searching, they seem to be more popular in the UK.

My tank is just about a month old and I have 7 otos that came to me looking pretty rough I wasn't sure if I had the ability to raise em back to good health.

2 week later and they are doing amazing. I had tons of algae in my 75g to get them feeding and boy did they fatten up. They have since cleaned the tank and I got them eating cucumber and zucchini now. I have tried spinache but they have yet to take. My water is pristine though. 0/0/0

I just got 6 otos, very haggard looking ones, at petsmart ($1 sale). I lost one the very first night, but the remaining 5 are doing great. They have been perking up and eating the algae and cucumber I left in the tank.

I have also had them in the past, when I was a very ignorant aquarist (monthly WC's if that. eek!), and never lost one. IME they have not been sensitive at all.

My current tank water is great though. 0 Ammo, 0 Nitrite, <5 NirtAtes. I'd say if you have a fishstore that stocks them and has a warranty time, give them a shot! They are beautiful and lots of fun :)

Edit: I also have a Bristle Nose Pleco in my 20 gallon. While they will demolish any algae you have, they will also leave poop trails everywhere, need driftwood and get up to 6"

2nd Edit: that sounded like I don't like them, but I love my BN pleco, though he mostly only comes out at night :)

if you do get them, start leaving a piece of cucumber in the tank attached to a small rock for a day and a half at a time and they will go for it eventually. Just replace it and keep it going, mine didn't start to eat it till like the 5th day.

any blanch greens are normally a go. I bet kale and spinach and collards would be great too.

I don't suggest getting algae eaters for an algae problem. Each type of algae eater consumes very specific types of algae and none eat all types. There are also some types of algae none will eat. That being said I suggest first posting a picture to identify the type of algae you have and then we can give suggestions on how to eliminate it and keep it from coming back.

What type of lighting fixture and bulbs do you use?

How long do you run lighting daily?

How often and how much water do you change out weekly?

Do you know your nitrate and phosphate readings?

I love corys. The fact that they'll eat food that falls to the bottom is just a bonus. But they remind of beagles with their nose to the ground and how they tumble-bumble around.

I've only had them for five or six hours and I love them already. They're so adorable, and my platys don't mind them at all.

Back
Top Bottom