Otocinclus Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would just scrape the algae from the glass. My guess: Otocinclus catfish probably would not last long in that tank. Otos prefer well-established, heavily planted tanks.

I've noticed that my oto prefers to clean plants before glassNot sure if anyone has the same results. Guess it is instincts cause in the wild there were always plants to clean not glass walls with algae. For that little amount of algae if it's not an acrylic tank just buy one of those algae scrubbers cheap at petco for like 3 or 4 bucks

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Agree with what's said.

they would probably eat it but it would take time and it's much easier to simply wipe it off.

Caleb

Putting a three hour break in your photo period and keeping your light exposure to blocks of less than 4 hours will solve this too. I don't have green algae and my BBA has almost completely receded.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the advice. My light is only on for five hours because tank is five feet from a bay window. I'm only keeping one of the three bay window blinds open too (middle one).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Mine will clean a bit on the glass - I can see the little trails they make! But it's not going to be enough to clear it up. Much better to scrape it off. I do the front and sides and leave the back since algae isn't bad for the fish or anything.

Thanks for the advice. My light is only on for five hours because tank is five feet from a bay window. I'm only keeping one of the three bay window blinds open too (middle one).

Break that into two periods and you should see a reduction. Algae needs that longer exposure to light in order to grow, plants don't. By breaking the photo period you are inhibiting algae growth-the plants don't care though.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree I have several Ottos and they are usually on the plants or come out to the glass after the lights are off. I bet that algae grows faster than they could eat if any way. And it's true! The more of a jungle my tank is the happier my Ottos are.

Back
Top Bottom