Otocinclus Cats Okay In A Mbuna Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CichliditisExtremitis

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello. I was wondering if anyone here has had success with keeping Otocinclus catfish in an African cichlid tank -- mbunas, to be precise. I am considering getting some to hasten the removal of diatoms from my two-month-old aquarium. Being as they do hail from South America, where the pH level is considerably lower than Lake Malawi, would they be able to withstand a pH of 8.0 or higher? I only have a 45 gallon tank, so I am considering this species due to its small size.

Thanks!

I don't think you would have much success, mbuna are agressive and otoas are too small. The ph they could be adjusted to but the risk from the mbuna would be too high IMO.

Possibly so, which is why I am asking.

As noted previously, my problem is tank size. Anything larger than Otos -- particularly because I'd probably want to get about three of them -- would be too big. Of course, I could just want for the diatoms to naturally die off. :)

The diatoms will die off naturally. It is part of the new tank process. If it were me, I would let nature take it's course.

Hello Zagz. Yes, I am aware of the diatom cycle, but two months of diatoms is stretching my patience. However, I suspect that a change has been underway in the tank for the past several days, as the diatoms are looking more sickly, and the water has suddenly been filled with a lot of minute particles. I suspect that the two recent water changes are starting to choke their supply of silicates, and that they may possibly be starting to die off. We shall see.

Of course, having silicate-laden sand, limestone base rock, and hard, alkaline water here, isn't helping my cause either. :)

Very true that you rocks and substrate are not helping, LOL. It would seem by what you have indicated that your diatoms may be dieing off. I had a diatom outbreak in an established tank and know what a pain it is. The fish help but do not solve the problem to be sure.

I have Otto cats in my planted tank. No way I would put them in with Mbuna, they are just too small and timid. Those Mbuna would pick them off in a day.

Very true that you rocks and substrate are not helping, LOL. It would seem by what you have indicated that your diatoms may be dieing off. I had a diatom outbreak in an established tank and know what a pain it is. The fish help but do not solve the problem to be sure.

A little off-topic, but I see that you have what looks like an African Grey. Very intelligent birds. Is yours a great talker like most?

I have Otto cats in my planted tank. No way I would put them in with Mbuna, they are just too small and timid. Those Mbuna would pick them off in a day.

Hello Cathy. Haven't seen or heard from you much lately...or maybe we've just been visiting different places.

Anyway, yes; you are not the first person to tell me that putting Otos in with my mbunas would not be a good idea.

I think my diatoms are starting to die off, so I may just let nature finish taking its course. I didn't really want to add more fish to the tank anyway...at least not for the sake of just keeping it clean.

I just hate that brown crap! For some reason I can put up with green algae, but the brown stuff is horrible! The only tank I still get it is my fry tank, probably because I have to feed them so often its ripe for the algae. Otto cats are real good at keeping it off live plants, but not so good at the walls and stuff of the tank. That's OK tho, I can wipe the sides and stuff off, but its hard to get it off plants. They are cute little guys. VERY sensitive tho. Most die off after about a week. Something to do with shipping. I went thru 6 before I got 2 to live past a month. They are now about 8 months old. They say that they do best in groups, that they stick together. Weird, I have never seen mine hang out together. They are always off doing their own thing.

I find it odd that they die off after only a week. That is definitely not normal. I wonder if it might have something to do with the quality of the water in your tank, and the water in the LFS tank, or even in the shipping bags. As you probably already know, breeders ship their fish to LFS in bags of water in which the pH has been seriously lowered, and who knows what other conditioners they add to the water. The lower pH helps the fish to endure the stress of high ammonia levels better.

Back
Top Bottom