otocinclus or cories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

novaheat

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am trying to decide between salt and pepper Cories or Otocinclus. The aquarium will be tropical community. I hope to start stocking the tank tomorrow. Still waiting on the numbers :rolleyes:

Tank 120 gallons
Pro Clear 150 Wet Dry

Thanks for input
NovaHeat

why not do some of both?

IME, ottos are better cleaners, cories are more enteraining to watch. I have both in my 125.

From a functional standpoint, they serve two totally different functions in an aquarium. Ottos eat soft algae that forms on surfaces like the panes of glass, large rocks & other hardscape, and occasionally on something like driftwood. They also eat diatoms ("brown algae" though it's not really an algae) that grows on those same surfaces. Ottos will spend 99% of their time attached to the aforementioned hard surfaces, and very rarely if ever will be on the substrate. If a tank has enough algae on its surfaces to keep the ottos well-fed, they will display little to no interest in any food that might makes its way to the surface of the substrate.

Corys, on the other hand, are omnivores who spend most of their time on the substrate. They will not eat any of the algae types I mentioned in the previous paragraph. Instead, they are a "cleanup crew" that will eat leftover bits of food that fall down and make their way to the substrate.

So is you are looking for a cleanup crew to keep your substrate free of leftover food, go with corys. If you have algae problems on your glass and other surfaces, go with ottos.

Behaviorally, both are schooling fish though it is probably more important to the health & well-being of corys than it is with ottos. And corys are far, far more active (and fun) in a tank than ottos are.

+1 , I would go for both also . Cories rooting through the substrate (with the plus of watching their antics) and the Otos' cleaning the algae everywhere else .

Okay, I think it will be both. How many of each and are there any differences between the types of Cories other than appearance?

Thanks everyone for the input. I like doing homework, except Calculus I am getting burned out.

I have two peppered cories, but they should either be in pairs or large schools from what I understand.

The more corydoras the better I have 16 in my main tank and still don't think it's enough.
Nothing beats watching a large group move up and down the tank.

What size tank do you have? Since I only have a ten gallon I didn't want to overstock, but I plan to add more once my rainbow shark gets bigger and requires an upgrade!

Back
Top Bottom