Otocinclus Swimming Frantically

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jetstorm369

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, I just introduced 5 otos into my cycled tank, and they've been swimming somewhat frantically for almost a day now. Has anyone experienced this before? Thanks!

What size tank? What tank mates? Have you checked your parameters (ammonia, etc) since you added them? Adding more fish to a tank can often temporarily make ammonia or nitrite rise until the bacteria can adjust and this could be stressing the fish.

All that aside, I just got a few Otos myself last week. They are rather skittish things, very nervous. Assuming there's nothing in the tank that's bothering them and if your levels are good (0 ammonia and nitrite and <20 nitrates) I'd say they're probably just settling in. If I move near the tank or turn on the light or do anything suddenly they start darting around. They're calming down some now and are even starting to eat foods I'm offering them and are fattening up, so I'd give them more time.

Hey guys, I just introduced 5 otos into my cycled tank, and they've been swimming somewhat frantically for almost a day now. Has anyone experienced this before? Thanks!

Not uncommon with certain types of fish. I have 2 CAE's & when I put them into my 46g tank they basically did circles in the tank walls. They'll also do this when I re-arrange things. Have you tested your water just to make sure nothing is amiss?i don't know what size tank you have or how you cycled but keep an eye on your ammonia & such to make sure the BB is keeping up with the new bio load.

It's not unheard of. I think they're just a little stressed from being transported to a new environment. A few more days and they should settle down.

I find this behavior similar to when I put new cories into a tank. They go buck-wild swimming up and down the side glass pane, only to settle down after a few days.

What's the temperature in the tank? Otos don't do we'll in anything over 80 degrees, IME. Those little suckers need plenty of oxygen.

David

Thanks for all of your input, guys! I feel much better now :]

Back
Top Bottom