otocinclus with yellow shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

underdog5004

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, I've got a 5.5G shrimp breeding tank. It's got some Christmas moss, anacharis, some weird spindly plant that came with the shrimp, etc...
Unfortunately, I've got some brown-ish grunge building up on the sides of teh tank; I'm thinking it's diatoms, best guess.

Here's my question: Can I put an otocinclus in the tank without worrying about him eating my shrimp?

Yes you can, they are one of the few fish that don't bother the shrimp. Or you can put in an apple snail in there.

Awesome, thank you for your quick reply! I love this forum, and am learning so much!

EDIT :: One of the perks of working at a LFS is I can go get fish whenever I want...2 otocinclus are floating in my tank right now; one will go in my 29G and one in my 5.5G tank!

One thing about oto cats they are wild caught so it is a very good idea to quarantine them.

One thing about oto cats they are wild caught so it is a very good idea to quarantine them.

Good thought, but I've had the luxury of watching them for the past 2 weeks in the tank at the store! :) I was freaking out about where to put them, then I remembered they'd been at the store for some time.

So, I've got a 5.5G shrimp breeding tank. It's got some Christmas moss, anacharis, some weird spindly plant that came with the shrimp, etc...
Unfortunately, I've got some brown-ish grunge building up on the sides of teh tank; I'm thinking it's diatoms, best guess.

Here's my question: Can I put an otocinclus in the tank without worrying about him eating my shrimp?

That spindly plant is guppy grass. If the tank has a decent amount of light you will be overrun with it in no time and can use it in other tanks for fry cover.

Ottos can live safely with shrimp, but they are a more social fish and like to be in groups of at least 5-6. If you add a single one to the tank I don't think you are going to have great results. I think a 5.5g tank is too small for ottos anyway since they might enjoy swimming around a little.

I'd think of a Caridina sp. of shrimp, along with some snails as addtional tankmates.

Back
Top Bottom