Otos versus sae's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StuG

Aquarium Advice Freak
Opinions please. Do you think saes do as good a job on tanks. Leaning duty as oto cats do?
I used to have Otos in my 10 and liked them, but with my 75 I have room for sae. Although I understand you should never get a fish solely for keeping algea down, i still like it when they help out!
So, I know the Otos did a fantastic job on the plants and glass, would sae's do as good?

Well having a fish for "cleanup" means you aren't very good at maintaining your tank, sorry to sound harsh but it's true.

The only reason to get a fish is because you love the fish, not to fit a role that is created...

IMO

I am guessing alot depends on how much you feed and what other fish you have in the tank which they will be joining?

I have 3 SAE and they were very good when I had an outbreak of black brush algae ( I think that's what it's called ). However, they can grow quickly and if fed too much will not do much to clean the tank too!

They are nice fish though if you want something active!

Scouser, please re-read my post.
I am not looking to get these fish solely for tank clean up, I happen to think they're cool fish that also eat algae.
I do a 50% water change every week, and use a magnetic algae scraper in between, so I'm not looking to replace my maintenance schedule.
I don't think it's a bad thing to enjoy a fish helping you out because it enjoys eats algea as part of its diet.

They eat different types of algae. Otos usually eat diatoms and GSA.... SAE's usually eat hair algae, sometimes even BBA. It's up to the fish though, as some don't even touch it.

IME, SAEs are way better for established tanks than otos. High quality otos are always still suspect and most die off within a few months of import. It does depend on the individual fish to a degree, but SAEs are constant grazers and not picky. Older / larger ones tend to abandon algae altogether and go to offered foods unless hungry though.

Yeah, I was leaning toward the Sae due to the delicate nature of Otos. It seems noone except the chain stores even bother carrying them anymore.
Ok, on with more research on sae's it is then!
Thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom