otos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haus

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had a gold mystery snail and a siamese algae eater in my tank, but the algae eater rode he carpet and the snail has passed away. I've noticed some algae beginning to form on the back of the tank every now and then and want to get a few otos. The inhabitants in my tank are in my sig. How many can I safely add to keep the algae in check? I would like at least 2 if not 3 or 4.

They like to be in groups as well, and when you add them to your tank they'll likely stay together. However, if your angles are large, I would suggest a bristlenose pleco. They stay small and would be perfect for your tank.

In addition to it being hard to find good quality otos (never buy them on shipping day, and always get ones with a rounded stomach), my angels picked off every last one of them in a matter of 2 days in my tank.

HTH

My angels are a breeding pair, but they seem pretty tame. They do get territorial when other fish come near their eggs, but other than that, they leave all the fish alone. I do have 2 guppies that I was concerned about, but they are left alone. The only fish that I have had a little problem are the 2 gouramis and on occasion they just chase eachother around.

Thanks for the idea about the bellies, I don't know much about otos. My lfs guy swears by them, and I have had bad luck with plecos and siamese algae eaters. They seem to like to carpet surf for me. :x

My angels, thought not fully grown, totally ignored my ottos after the first few hours the ottos were intoduced. Though, my angels are very friendly with other fish...unless they come near their favorite amazon sword plant of course. haha

The tank is not planted. Do corys do better in pairs? The albino cory that I have seems depressed a lot. He spends most of his time just hanging out on the bottom, not really moving much. Five or six more fish won't overstock me too much will it, since they will all be small?

:oops: Guess I should have read up on them before purchasing :oops: I will definitely get more corys then.

You should think about using live plants because then you could easily add some more fish and everything would go smoother and look much nicer (I hate plastic plants :evil: ).

I have a 20 gallon planted that has more (won't say how much more :wink: ) fish than you have in your 29 gallon and mine is densely planted and I haven't lost any fish in a long time (except for those stupid ghost shrimp... :lol: ).

Ammonia- 0ppm
Nitrite- 0ppm
pH- 6.8

Cabomba grows insanely fast. :)

Back
Top Bottom