Our pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clayman

Aquarium Advice Freak
Thought I would share our pond experience. Last summer I built a 3000 gallon pond in my fathers backyard. Now it is thriving and the plants are doing well. It was a labor intensive project and a learning experience. I wish it was at my house! My dad loves it and I am over weekly to check up on it. At least I live about 15 minutes from their house. It's got 6 shubunkin goldfish in it and some floating and pored plants. It had 8 fish originally but I think a bird got 2 of them. The plants now give a lot more cover. Here's some pics.

100179-albums14358-picture69079.jpg

100179-albums14358-picture69083.jpg

Floating net with hitchhiker floater. I believe it's duckweed.
100179-albums14358-picture69084.jpg

100179-albums14358-picture69085.jpg

The unknown floater. Plus anacharis flowers.

100179-albums14358-picture69086.jpg

Water lily and the submerged plant below is anacharis. It's potted and at least 4ft long after I trimmed 3ft off of it.

Gorgeous landscaped pond.
Yep, that's duck weed. What kind of pump and filter is being used?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks man. The pump is an Easy Pro Th150-50. 3100gph. The filter is basically big sponges. The pond overflows into the pump box, through a screen then these brushes for mechanical before the pump. Then pumps into a waterfall box that has about a foot thick of giant spongelike mats then overflows over the waterfall.

Thats awsome man. I use a sponge on mine as well as a bog filter box on mine. But its ni where near that size. Looks amazing man. Need any plants let me know. Im abt to split a bunch of my pond plants. I dont know anyone else with a water garden/pond to give them to. . Lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You did a great job. Did you design it yourself or work from someone else's plans?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks, my dad and I designed the original pond a few years ago, when I moved out of state it started having problems and my dad gave up and let the pond die. When I moved back i wanted to get it going again for him because it was an eyesore in his back yard, just a big pond shaped hole full of weeds and mud. We got it cleaned out and added some depth to the original design. Now it's better than ever.

That's so cool!

Random side note: most people have flowers put on their gravestones, I think it would be cool to have a small pond. :D

Anyways, wow I'm jealous. Could you put a tiger lotus in there? I think those get pretty tall.

With the pump and filter and everything, is it just like a normal tank? And how did you get the water to stay in; is there a tarp or something? Sorry for all the questions but I've never thought of the logistics of a pond before.

BTW that duckweed will be a PAIN to keep out of the pond if it spreads. You may want to scoop it all or quickly.

Pond looks absolutely amazing. Really a kind of oasis feeling. Also, the goldfish will eat the duckweed if they can get to it. You can put a little bit in there and see if they eat it. It is sold as goldfish food on Ebay. Anyway, it looks awesome and now you make me want one!!

Wow, This is a really nice pond. Ive always wanted one for some goldfish or natives in my backyard. Awesome work on this! (y) I bet those goldfish will spawn one day on their own and you'll have more than you will know what to do with! :)

Back
Top Bottom