Outlet Timer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jetstorm369

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey, for those of you who use timers for lights/co2 injection, which brand do you recommend? Thanks!

Brinks makes a few good inexpensive models. Out of the half a dozen, or so, that I have had for the past two years only one has crapped out on me. You can get them at Walmart for about five bucks or less.

I have quite a few timers... at first I purchased aquarium specific one made by Marineland... which is alright. No problems to report on that one...But it only has one outlet on it. Then one day I was at Target and a stumbled upon a GE Heavy Duty Dual Outlet Timer for about $10 bucks. I find this one to be a good deal and perfect for me because I can plug in my lighting and co2 reg on it...

Here's the one:
Plug-In Dual-Outlet Heavy-Duty Timer-15075 at The Home Depot

I use the $5 Brinks ones from Wal-Mart and have never had an issue in over a year, and I use 7 of them.

jefferzbooboo said:
I use the $5 Brinks ones from Wal-Mart and have never had an issue in over a year, and I use 7 of them.

+1 I'm using 4 right now for a year with no issues.

+2 on the brinks. Walmart is the way to go for these. Never had an issue with these timers.

Man.. Looks like i need to get one of these famous brinks timers! Are they a dual heavy duty (meaning grounded 3 prong) outlet timer?

Brian_Nano12g said:
Man.. Looks like i need to get one of these famous brinks timers! Are they a dual heavy duty (meaning grounded 3 prong) outlet timer?

They have two small models that I have seen, and I use both... One three prong grounded (good for lights) and one two prong (good for CO2 and other stuff). I have seen a dual outlet version but I can't remember if both outlets are timer controlled or only one of them.

You can sometime catch Lowes or Home Depot running a three pack special on these for like ten bucks.

I've had some bad luck with digital timers, but I've never had an issue with the mechanical ones. Usually you can just go with one of the cheaper models and be fine, especially convenient considering the fact that you might want several of them depending on how you want to set everything up (co2 coming on before lights, etc).

Back
Top Bottom