Over feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xfactor6699

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone over feed a little so that there bottom feeders or less dominate pets get food

I don't overfeed anything, if they're hungry they'll eat. Trying to make sure the shy or less aggressive fish get enough certainly leads to overfeeding the more aggressive ones.

Last edited:
i think overfeeding is near the top of the list of newbie fishkeeping no-nos. If there isn't any food reaching them, consider using a larger pellet or wafer that they can get to, or spot feeding the less aggressive ones.

I'm more asking about things like shrimp where they are hiding because of all the feeding then the food is gone and nothing left for them

Don't overfeed. Bottom dwellers and nocturnal fish need to be intentionally fed a bit after lights out. Feed less, but target more. JMO

I use the distraction technique.I put some floating food in and while the riot is going on drop in a little sinking food for the guys at the bottom. Seems to work for me.

I've been struggling with the same thing, so appreciate the advice. My shy fish just watch the cichlids battle for food and get none themselves. I've had limited luck with the distraction technique because my convict will just suck down any sinking pellets and go munch on them on the corner. My Cory is still alive though, so he must be finding food somewhere.

Shrimp and cories (plecos too) thrive when fed at night.

Back
Top Bottom