Over stocked? and how often to do pwc/gravel vacuum?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chewbacca

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all, I have 2 tanks,

10 GAL with 5 zebra danios, 1 pearl danio, and one albino corey cat running on a penguin 100. densly fake planted.

20H with eclipse 2 hood with 6 black skirt tetras, 3 silver hatchets and one small(4.25in) rhino. and one live jungle vas...with some fake plants.

Currently i have had the tanks for over a month. and have done gravel vacuums every week, is this too often? and can i add any more fish to any of the 2 tanks? Thank you in advance

John

I do a PWC/GV on my 29g every 2 weeks with success. Water parameters are all at 0ppm. as far as adding fish to your 10g, mabey 1-2 1in. or less---20g I think you may be able to add a few more, if your filter can handle the load of more fish. What filtration does the 20g have?

I do gravel vacs and pwc's weekly. My fish love me for it! Do you own a test kit yet? If not I would recommend a liquid test kit such as AP's master kit. IMO water changes can't be done too often as long as temps are matched and dechlorinator is added.

checkvalve said:
I do a PWC/GV on my 29g every 2 weeks with success. Water parameters are all at 0ppm. as far as adding fish to your 10g, mabey 1-2 1in. or less---20g I think you may be able to add a few more, if your filter can handle the load of more fish. What filtration does the 20g have?

It has a marineland eclipse 2 system with a bio wheel. Rated at 200Gal/Hr.

and Zags, i do own a aquarium pharm master kit.. thats what AP is right?

John

Yes, that's the one Zagz was talking about. It's one that a lot of people here use. Do you also have a Nitrate kit? My Master kit didn't come with one so I had to buy it separately. If you don't have the Nitrate kit I would recommend picking one up.

I have nitrates in that kit...ok, so gravel vacuum weekly is fine? and am i overstocked?

I vacuum once a week with my water changes. I dont think your are overstocked. I like your stocking, they sound like nice tanks you have.

I would add a couple more cories to the 10. They like to be in groups.
As for the twenty it all depends on how big that rhino is going to get?

some site say 18 some say 8 inches...probably around 10-12??? and how do i change my profile to say my location?

I was afraid of that. Your best would be to take him back. That would allow you to add some smaller sized bottom dwellers. Plecos are real waste producers and it would be unwise to add anything else to that tank. As he grows you will find it hard to keep the nitrates in check.

I considered that when i bought him, knowing he will get to at least 8 inches, my tank measures 24 inches...and 16 inches high...well about the nitrates, that would be because he poops alot? and I bought a tank so i could have a pleco, so i bought a smaller one, even though he can get big....he will only stay in that tank until i go to college and buy a house...

Back
Top Bottom