overbred fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James_in_MN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've recently read that cardinal tetras have surpassed neon tetras in hardiness, most likely due to overbreeding (ex: cardinals can't get neon tetra disease). Also, besides some cases of unpredictable temperment, dwarf gouramis may be suffering from the same fate, as they don't seem to be as hardy as when I had them several years ago in my first aquarium.

Are there any other fish that have been so overbred that they've become fragile?

I have heard that German blue rams are starting to. I also heard that the Golden German ram and the Bolivian ram surpass the GBR in hardiness.

Yeah, Homedog98 mentioned the same thing in another thread of mine. I'm now thinking about getting a bolivian ram instead of a GBR.

I think the GBRs rank right up there with neons. Private breeders are the way to go with GBRs. I will not buy another pair from a LFS, ever.

I'm sensing a pattern here. GBRs and dwarf gouramis come in various color types. Perhaps the desire to breed different varieties of the fish is where the problems are coming from.

Actually, now that I think of it, glo danios are fragile as well. The fact that they're genetically engineered is definitely part of the problem, but the various color types (green, yellow, red) being bred into them would be another reason they're not nearly as hardy as the normal zebras.

Back
Top Bottom