Overflow and Sump....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

veetors

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok.... I read a lot about overflows and sumps but only for reef or saltwater tanks... are they beneficial in a freshwater tank? If so, does anyone know of a good step by step instruction on how to build one? (I have a 10g laying around gathering dust) and how do you do water changes in them?

Alex

This is a good place to start:
Melevsreef.com - What is a Sump?
<Follow all the links, there are good links to discussion on sumps, DIY plans, etc.>

I would, however, suggest buying a HOB overflow rather than building one. It is more challenging to do than what the websites would indicate. <Maybe I am more inept?> A 10 gal could work as a sump, although depending on the size of your display tank, the working volume might be rather small once you factor in the safety room needed to prevent flooding .... so it might not be worth you while to set it up. Generally, the bigger the sump the better ....

everything I read is for reef tanks.... does the same thing apply to freshwater?

They do. It's just the expense of setting one up usually discourages the FW person. The SW/Reef display tank is usually something that the aquarist is willing to spend $$$ on to get the look they want.

Increased water volume
a place to hide your equipment
etc

I might as well keep my hang on back filter... seems useless to have a sump and overflow unless the tank is made for it...

There's no reason to do it unless the old filter system is too much for you aesthetically.

Back
Top Bottom