Overflow design help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IchthyChris

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want to make self contained overflow boxes that can be removed from (or added to) the tank. It will have 4 sides and a bottom and will not attach to the tank itself. This will not lead to a sump. It will be mechanical filtration mostleh. It will have 2 submersible pumps or one with a Y for two outlets. Designed for a corner, 2 per tank. One low outlet aimed slightly toward the wall and reflected back and one higher aimed up to agitate the surface. I could add adjustable ends but I think they look funny. Just above the top outlet would have a grate to keep sediment and media out of the pumps. You could place a media bag of some sort here.

Would this set up and a HOB skimmer be efficient? Any suggestions?

Crude doodle example:
image-3126161061.jpg

I would think with 2 pumps in there you would empty that box in a hurry. If you slow them down, they wont be providing much flow. I would think an HOB filter would be better and take up less space in your tank.

True, but the idea behind this design is to encase these boxes with aragocrete (homemade live rock) and then be able to remove them glueing and fragging. My last aragocrete project turned out awesome, but was not removable and gluing frags under water is a pain. Here is a couple pics of my last project so you have an idea what I'm talking about:
img_2470001_0_72a927bbe6c05fbe48830c07e22f207a.jpg
[/IMG]
img_2470001_1_14723aa02713737c2888fd4a74b2ce5f.jpg
[/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom