Overkill? (heater)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Malawi Freak said:
I use a coralife one for $5 online. Pin point ones are great but are only necessary in saltwater

Well I figured since I can hook it to more then one I'd get it and use it on both tanks. :)

Then I figured pretty much set. I can see the temp of both tanks kinda the best of both no?

boadams87 said:
Can you unplug the other one and see if it keeps the water at the temp!

I did this experiment and 1 heater maintains 77.5 degrees according to the PinPoint. I do however have the 2 in the tank just one is unplugged.

Convict2161 said:
I did this experiment and 1 heater maintains 77.5 degrees according to the PinPoint. I do however have the 2 in the tank just one is unplugged.

What was the room temp? I imagine not to far from that but yesterday was a cold day.

Malawi Freak said:
What was the room temp? I imagine not to far from that but yesterday was a cold day.

Yesterday the wife had the heat cranked. It was 73.4 degrees.

Although over the weekend the tank was still 77.4-77.7 and it was not bad on Sat, only time it moved more was during wc.

That concerns me that a heater is having an issue raising 4 degrees from the ambient temp. Is this one of the new ones or an existing?

Malawi Freak said:
That concerns me that a heater is having an issue raising 4 degrees from the ambient temp. Is this one of the new ones or an existing?

It's about 7 months old. AP 250 watt. I unplugged the Jäger 300 watt to see if the 250 would keep up with it. Should I just plug both in? There both in the tank. Or maybe just the Jäger?

It concerns me that your concerned lol. I value your knowledge and advice so please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Dino

Convict2161 said:
It's about 7 months old. AP 250 watt. I unplugged the Jäger 300 watt to see if the 250 would keep up with it. Should I just plug both in? There both in the tank. Or maybe just the Jäger?

It concerns me that your concerned lol. I value your knowledge and advice so please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Dino

Do you ever notice a slight electric current in the tank while the heater is running? That heater should be able to do the job in your tank. Is the thermometers sensor on the opposite side of the tank? Perhaps the water flow is pushing the heat to stay in the one area, a little unlikely though. The calibration could also be off in the heater. I have a couple that are set to 84 to maintain 82.

Malawi Freak said:
Do you ever notice a slight electric current in the tank while the heater is running? That heater should be able to do the job in your tank. Is the thermometers sensor on the opposite side of the tank? Perhaps the water flow is pushing the heat to stay in the one area, a little unlikely though. The calibration could also be off in the heater. I have a couple that are set to 84 to maintain 82.

Hmmm... No current that I'm aware of. I do a lot of flow. The fx5 and then the added 110. The PinPoint probe is in to the right of intake of the fx5. The AP 250 is on the right corner side of the tank. Maybe the probe is in a bad spot? Too much flow? The glass thermometers on each side read the exact same. 78 degrees, maybe I need to raise the 250 watt? It's set in between 76 and 80.

If I had both running the temp was 80+

The AP always stayed green but the jäger was going on and off. I dunno maybe I'm over thinking this whole thing.

I think the jäger is more efficient and more accurately shutting off and on. I don't think the position of the thermometer is an issue if 2 others read the same. Could always try bringing the ap heater back to the store and say it isn't working properly.

Malawi Freak said:
I think the jäger is more efficient and more accurately shutting off and on. I don't think the position of the thermometer is an issue if 2 others read the same. Could always try bringing the ap heater back to the store and say it isn't working properly.

Sounds like a plan :)

Ok I unplugged the AP and now it's only the jäger 250 watt. Room temp is 70.7. Tank temp per PinPoint 77.7 right now.

It's the PinPoint. Something is way way off. It's was just reading 78.6 and the glass meters on either side of the tank haven't budged. It's like the PP is reading the temp from the radiator.

The heat is cranked tonight and the temp in my sons room is 71.2. It's just not possible for the tank to rise that high. I even reset the unit and it read 78.4 way too much temp fluctuation according to the PP. I'm not trusting this unit at all. The probe is fully submerged to the bottom almost center of the tank. The unit the probe is attached to is behind the tank fastened with double sided Velcro. Jut doesn't make any sense.

How is it reading in your saltwater tank? Maybe try taking the sensor out of both cleaning them good and swapping to see if anything changes. I know of the old gh/kh/phosphates readers that pinpoint made and they weren't that great.

Malawi Freak said:
How is it reading in your saltwater tank? Maybe try taking the sensor out of both cleaning them good and swapping to see if anything changes. I know of the old gh/kh/phosphates readers that pinpoint made and they weren't that great.

Saltwater is off too. The glass meter is reading 78-79 it's always been that. The PP is reading 84.8 there's just no way. I can tell when touching the water it's not that hot. I had heat issues in my BC 29 so bad I had to float zip lock bags of ice so I know heat. Now I have LED's and it's moonlight right now and still reading high.

Also now the Cichlid tank is reading 78.1 something is wrong with the unit for sure. I'll clean the probes and start over, see what happens.

Malawi Freak said:
Definitely a faulty unit. Hate when that happens.

Yeah for real. Steady at 77.5 since last night. With cheap 15 dollar digital. Sometimes it doesn't pay to pay lol.

Back
Top Bottom