Overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwencel24

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,

Since my first post was not responded well, I decide to only post this question instead. Based on this given info, is my aquarium overstocked?

Fishes:
1 molly
1 platy
3 guppies
3 zebra danios
3 cory catfishes (peperred, emerald and albino)
6 khuli loaches

Tank:
20 gallon
2 fluorescent lights
Aquaclear filter 20 (I'm thinking of upgrading to 30)
1 thermometer
~15 lb small gravel
1 medium size wood

Plants:
Water wisteria
Java fern
Anacharis

If possible, can I add two small kinds of cory like julii and loxozonus?

Thanks.

You should really stick to one or 2 species of cory. Cories prefer schooling with their own kind.

I just lost my lone julii probably due to stress of being alone.

Hello everyone,

Since my first post was not responded well, I decide to only post this question instead. Based on this given info, is my aquarium overstocked?

Fishes:
1 molly
1 platy
3 guppies
3 zebra danios
3 cory catfishes (peperred, emerald and albino)
6 khuli loaches

Tank:
20 gallon
2 fluorescent lights
Aquaclear filter 20 (I'm thinking of upgrading to 30)
1 thermometer
~15 lb small gravel
1 medium size wood

Plants:
Water wisteria
Java fern
Anacharis

If possible, can I add two small kinds of cory like julii and loxozonus?

Thanks.

Yes you are overstocked. You have about 18 inches of fish if not more. Though many people say the rule is one inch of fish per gallon. The rule should really be one inch of fish per every two gallons of water. And as people said you are mixing too many fishes together.

OK

You should be fine but I recommend doing 10% water changes and keeping temperature, ammonia, and nitrate levels balanced and safe. I think you shouldn't add more though.:cool:

Sorry for the late reply everyone..

Thank you very much for your advices. I always have this thought of adding cory whenever i am in a pet store but always been stopped immediately by myself.

Anyways, I won't add any fish anymore, promise. I like seeing them swimming around freely and have more space.

Is it good to add plant instead?

Your 20 G

Hello dwen...

I don't believe your tank is overcrowded, but I wouldn't add more fish either. Hopefully, your "Livebearers" aren't pregnant, or you could have a population problem.

I have heavily stocked tanks too. I enjoy a lot of activity in the tank. If you keep the water clean by removing and replacing a good percentage of it every week or so, your plants and fish should be fine.

B

Your fine just keep up on the maintenance. I've seen some people with around 15 cichlids in a 20 gallon so I'm sure your 10 or so will be fine

Again, thank you..

I thought before adding two more cories as I have mentioned. However, I rather have not overcrowded fish tank.

By the way, I have fries that I have not mentioned and my albino cory is pregnant (which is weird because I don't have other albino cory). Anyways, I have a 10 gallon tank For somethings like this. I am planning to move the fries when they get big enough and the cory eggs when they show up. I have some people who are willing to take some of my fries for free (I don't care about the money. I care about the fish).

With that, I guess I will just add plants then like java moss (I really really want them but they are expensive). I have water wisteria which is recovering from bleach dipping and anacharis which has the worst case (no leaves left, majority of the stem are turning brown, and only the shoots have been left). I also have anubias which I have purchased recently. I did peroxide dipping instead in this plant and did cotton swab wipping on the leaves using water with small amount of bleach (this is due to blue algae on some of the leaves). So far no issue with my anubias.

Again, thank you..

I thought before adding two more cories as I have mentioned. However, I rather have not overcrowded fish tank.

By the way, I have fries that I have not mentioned and my albino cory is pregnant (which is weird because I don't have other albino cory). Anyways, I have a 10 gallon tank For somethings like this. I am planning to move the fries when they get big enough and the cory eggs when they show up. I have some people who are willing to take some of my fries for free (I don't care about the money. I care about the fish).

With that, I guess I will just add plants then like java moss (I really really want them but they are expensive). I have water wisteria which is recovering from bleach dipping and anacharis which has the worst case (no leaves left, majority of the stem are turning brown, and only the shoots have been left). I also have anubias which I have purchased recently. I did peroxide dipping instead in this plant and did cotton swab wipping on the leaves using water with small amount of bleach (this is due to blue algae on some of the leaves). So far no issue with my anubias.

Could have got preggers at the fish store

Hmm.. I don't think so. When I got my albino cory, it still have flat belly. But after weeks of being in my tank along with my other corries, her belly grew. I thought that it might be due to over feeding. I reduced it but its not getting small. I don't think it is an illness too. So, the only possible thing I can think of is it is pregnant.

Hmm.. I don't think so. When I got my albino cory, it still have flat belly. But after weeks of being in my tank along with my other corries, her belly grew. I thought that it might be due to over feeding. I reduced it but its not getting small. I don't think it is an illness too. So, the only possible thing I can think of is it is pregnant.

I had two platys In a 1.77 gallon tank before I knew anything that was 2 1/2!months ago and In the second week i lost a platty and was left with one which stayed like that for 4 more weeks before I got my 20 gallon tank. I left for Vegas on
Week 5 left my platy in the little tank got back put it in the big tank and later that week and early the following week I found a ton of zebra danio fry and 2 platy fry. I had no idea they were platy untill recently as to how it happened I have no idea but they are definitely my platy fry. I only realized a few days ago after they developed more .

q9wpALz.jpg

qPliIas.jpg

That's nice.. I ave fries too from my guppies and from my mollies that have died due to ich. I could not identify them until recently when they have developed some characteristics.

Anyways, another reason I don't want to add more fish is that most of my fish have developed some sort of immunity to ich. The guppy I have introduced these week had an ich infestation due to being bullied (I guess mating action) of my platy. I quarantined my guppy in the morning and by night all the white stuff have gone ( except on her lips). After some days, the ich on her lips have gone but the action by my platy continues.

By the way, the platy I ave mentioned is doing some rot of weird action. This fish is trying to mate with my guppies, WEIRd!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 31
Back
Top Bottom