Ozone reactor setup help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alco1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,

I wanted to start using ozone in my tank, I've read sooo much information on ozone and how to use and just trying to take every precaution I can so I decided to buy an Ozone Reactor as part of my setup for the ozone.

I purchased the Reef Octopus OR-150 Ozone Reactor - Detailed Product View

I knew what it does but didn't know how the water ran through it and gathered it was pressure that pushed the water through the outlet.... the issue I have is when setting up the reactor, I read the instructions and found the outlet of the reactor has to sit above the sump water level (the water through the outlet goes out by gravity, not pressure)

Unfortunately I don't have this luxury and I have to put this reactor beside my sump.

I'm thinking about hooking up a pump to the outlet of the reactor to push the water back into the sump, the only thing I'm afraid of is if the pump I attach somehow stops working and the pump that goes through the inlet of the reactor floods my house.

I'm open to suggestions or possibly a better was to do this.

Attached is a picture of where the reactor has to go, there no other place it will fit.

Thanks

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 1,094
Why not hook a pump up to the output with 'flexible 'hose and use it to 'syphon/waterbridge' without the pump being used on input???

Why didn't you just opt to install/apply your ozone through a skimmer???

unfortunately I don't think that would work, the pump on the inlet pushes water through but the reactor isn't full of water, the water only fills to about an inch or two above the the outlet.

The reason I opt to do it was just a safety precaution, it DE-detoxifies majority of the ozone prior from entering the tank. I get that if plugging it to a skimmer does nearly the same thing but excess ozone that may end up to in the skimmer cup. Compared to the reactor where the excess ozone turns to O2 prior from exiting. The reactor setup would be in the cabinetry under the tank, there's no ventilation under there that leads to outside and I have a family, I prefer to have zero risk of excess ozone in our house.

The generator to skimmer works for some, I've even read that people just hook up a generator to an air stone and are happy with that.

I just rather try to use every precaution I can

I understand.
I can pass all exiting air from skimmer through carbon if I choose.
I know I have smelled ozone before....

Not pretty but can the reactor be hidden above the tank and then allowed to function as intended?
Possibly even a 'box' or such to hide it(possible excuse for that canopy addition..)??

I wish, there's no room to put anything above the tank or on the sides or even to out it in a separate room and run it through a wall.

The only wall that has room on the other side is the walk-in wardrobe and my wife would destroy me if I attempted to put it in there.

I've attached a photo, on the left side, there no room at all for an extension, but the right side does have a bit more space but the reactor would need to be higher which means the cabinetry would be higher and block the tank on a side view and the cabinetry wouldn't be symmetrical with the tank (and wife would destroy me)

Maybe just a highly quality pump for the inlet??? I was thinking about just drilling a hole into the reactor around the top-side and attaching a hose that leads to the sump as an overflow but I'm afraid that might end up defeating purpose of the reactor and lead excess ozone out.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 161
Back
Top Bottom