Pacific Blue Tang (Dory from Finding Nemo)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdaccord03

Aquarium Advice Regular
I would like to get a Pacific Blue Tang for my 55 gallon tank. It is 4 feet long but it has lots of live rock. AT the LFS they said my tank was too small for that fish. WHat do u guys think?

Jimmy

Agreed. You really need at least a 75g tank, IMO, for any tang. You could keep a yellow or purple in a 75, but most of the larger tangs do need a 6' tank.

well, IMO, it depends on how big the fish now and how long you plan to keep it. If your blue tang is small and plan for a year only, I don't see why not.

Why would you want to stress the fish out that much by only keeping it for a year and then returning it? That isn't very smart in my opinion

well, IMO, it depends on how big the fish now and how long you plan to keep it. If your blue tang is small and plan for a year only, I don't see why not.
Tangs are very sensative to parasitic infections like ick. When they are stressed they become even more prone to infections. Keeping a fish in an inappropriatley sized tank is stressful...

Makes more sense to get appropriate size fish for our systems. Many of us actually see them as pets.

That is messed up if u wanna take the tang bak , why hav it??

Also You hav wayyyyy to much fish in ur 6 Gal tank , if u dont kno anything about saltwateerfish then why buy them?

6G Nano-Reef Tank (Eclipse Six)
--------------------------------------------
10 lbs. LR
15 lbs. LS
1 Sebae Anemone
Several Purple Mushrooms
1 Bright Green Brain Coral
1 Sebae Clownfish
1 Yellow-tailed Damsel
1 Domino Damsel
6 Red-Legged Hermit Crabs
8 assorted Snails
^^^^^^^^^^^
Thats Crazy 8O

The reason most of us are on this forum is to help each other, not be nasty - Please be nice tito, sdaccord03 has asked for our help - not criticism. I've also made mistakes - as have most of the people on this forum - but that is why we are here - to learn. NOW BE NICE OR GO TO YOUR ROOM!

I dont think my 6g is overcrowded. The fish dont seem to be getting any bigger but they seem to be perfectly happy. They swim like healthy fish and have hearty appetites.

JW

Fenner's book indicates that the yellow or blue can be kept in a 55g. I'd prefer to see them in the ocean, swimming free, but they are not so the difference between a 55G and a 75 or 90 are quite trivial in comparison to where they should be. Really a 75 or 90 gives you a little more width and height, no more of the important length. IMO, a fish should have 10 body lengths in the length of the tank and 3 in the width. IE, a 55 can keep up to a 5 inch fish. Same holds true that a 10 inch fish has less relative "swimming room" in a 180g. Yet nobody here complains about a 9 or 10 inch fish being in a 180g (say a large angel or tang).

Wow, I did not check your current stock. My friend, you do have too much fish on the 6G tank. Even two fishes are too much. About your 55G, since you have a YT and butterfly already, should not add anymore tang, specially Blue Tang. Look at this way, if you stress out the fishes, they are always hidding and don't show their best color, why have them anyway.

Go To My Room ? I wasnt being nasty i was just telling him that its wrong to tak a fish bak in a year . Im not even gonna flame , ur probably just a lonely man that has frustrations

Tito - I'm a woman, learned most of what I need to learn from people that have been helpful on this forum. I don't claim to know anything more than anyone else, I just try to be helpful and nice in return.

Back
Top Bottom