Painting an already set-up tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mackdaddy81

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I think I want to put a background on my already set up 29 gallon tank. I really like the look of paint and want to know if there is safe to paint the tank while it is set up. Any suggestions on how to do this or if it would or would not be a good idea?

If the tank is near a wall and you cant access the back easily, drain the water about half or 3/4. If you still cant move it get help.. you dont want to risk tipping or cracking the tank due to uneven pressure on the glass. I'm sure if you seal it up and mask it off properly and don't have anything running eg filter, air pump etc. it should be fine. Just make sure you ventilate the area you are painting in eg turn on a bunch of fans and open the windows.

-davE

Most people seem to overlook latex paint. The same paint you would use in your home. It will take two coats to cover but I have done this on a number of tanks and it works fine.

If you pickup a small, foam, trim roller, they are about 1" in diameter, you may be able to reach behind your tank right where it sits. There is no over spray with a roller so you do not have to worry about your tank.

Back
Top Bottom