Painting my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kitekat87

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I want to paint the back of my tank black but this is something I have never done before. Previously I've glued black plastic on the back but that didn't look good for this tank as the glass is frosted (I'm not a fan of the frosted glass look either).

My question is what paint do I use? Or is any paint good?

I had bought Black Krylon Fusion for painting the overflow/return on my tank as it is safe once dried for fish. However, I didn't end up using it for that. I ended up using it for the back of my tank. Worked great. I did end up using the whole can to get it to not allow light thru.

Now, any paint that will stick to glass will work. because it is not going to be in contact with the water/fish as its on the outside.

I will be painting a tank tomorrow. Probably black and probably what ever is on shelf at hardware store.
Krylon is good and so is just about any paint.. Clean the glass good with alcohol first so the paint bonds as good as possible.. Spraying indoors can be smelly. Dry time of rolling or brushing is not as quick IMO. Pick what ever is easiest for you. If I don't spray I will want water clean up paint [acrylic]..

I will be painting a tank tomorrow. Probably black and probably what ever is on shelf at hardware store.
Krylon is good and so is just about any paint.. Clean the glass good with alcohol first so the paint bonds as good as possible.. Spraying indoors can be smelly. Dry time of rolling or brushing is not as quick IMO. Pick what ever is easiest for you. If I don't spray I will want water clean up paint [acrylic]..
Any paint i paint all my tanks way beter then anything and its fun

Painted the tank. It was a little difficult without moving it but got there in the end. I think it looks good tho. Also did a bit of a rescape thinning out some of the plants

Attachments

• 20180128_180627.jpg
    20180128_180627.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 41
Very nice. I've always used backgrounds, but I'll be setting up a new tank in the next week or so. Might have to go painted....

What color did u use? I have a project tank my hubby and I are working on. The people that had it before us used black bathroom caulking on it and there is lots of work to do lol. I am thinking about painting the back. Your tank is gorgeous

What color did u use? I have a project tank my hubby and I are working on. The people that had it before us used black bathroom caulking on it and there is lots of work to do lol. I am thinking about painting the back. Your tank is gorgeous
Thanks. I just used black acrylic paint because it's non toxic apparently. It went on fairly easy using a roller and I didn't have any problems with the fish.

This was my first attempt at this as I normally use plastic backing but it's so easy and cheaper I will be doing it for any future tanks

Back
Top Bottom