Painting your tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HannahJo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am getting ready to set up a 10 gallon tank (for the betta). I am going to paint the backside of the tank instead of buying a traditional background. I know this can be done with regular paint BUT I was thinking about using glitter/sparkle paint! I was thinking either blue or black..... Has anybody done this? I googled it but did not see any pictures. In my head, this is going to look super cool BUT is it going to turn out super cool? I have no idea! Let me know your thoughts!

You could try on some cardboard first? All the ones I’ve seen are well, background colours. Be interesting to see it done!

Yeah, I think I'll just go for it! I'll post pictures when it's done. I'm really hoping the glitter/sparkles show through. I actually saw a "galaxy holographic glitter" paint and I was like ooooohhhhh ahhhhhhh- maybe I'll give that a shot. :dance:

I can definitely test it out on cardboard- but that could be misleading. It may look good on the cardboard and then not show the same on glass. Worst case scenario, I end up with a plain background! I have several 10 gallons, so if it's unbearable I can use another tank or do my best to scrap/remove the ugly paint.

That’s right Hannah. Sometimes it’s cheaper to buy a background Because a lot of times they sell paint in large cans and then you have leftover paint that they made you pay for that you didn’t need.

I did it! Turned out almost exactly how I wanted. Its so hard to get decent pic. These pics dont do it justice!
a4wRMRk.jpg

7FnhPpJ.jpg

poDGfgE.jpg

SsMt01I.jpg

Looks great! The glitter mixed in is definitely a fun effect. I used to do the whole paper background thing until I discovered the spray paint background.

Back
Top Bottom