panda cory fin problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

petitnk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys, need help identifying what has caused this whitish blob on my panda cory's fin.

Attachments

• 8077869D-5ACC-4078-9320-96DCB9FC0704.jpg
    8077869D-5ACC-4078-9320-96DCB9FC0704.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 27
Are they new, how long has it had this? Do you have a quarantine tank to treat in?

I had one come home from the pet shop looking like that except it was his back tail. It was a secondary fungal infection from a systemic bacterial infection. Needed a combination of paraguard and maracyn 2 to kick but it’s fine now. It’s hard to know just by looking whether the infection is fungal or bacterial just by looking because fuzzy usually indicates fungal but some bacterial infections look like that as well.

Personally I would put it in a qt and treat for both fungal and bacterial. It looks so far along with tissue damage I doubt you have time to wait and try sequential treatments.

You also should check (or recheck) your water parameters. Poor conditions can make them more prone to secondary infection if they get a small injury for example.

I had the exact same thing in same spot on my one garra rufa and it was fungus...
My LFS gave me Kordons Rid Ich Plus...
Said that's what they use..
It is safe for scaleless fish like kuhli's and Cory's. But is NOT invert safe. So I had to move all my shrimp and snails..
The garra ended up dying pretty much just as I was treating the first dose. Then next day saw a white fluff and found out it was one of my kuhli loaches and I was DEVASTATED!! I continued treatment for 5 days at minimal dosing. (No carbon filter)
After treatment for 5 days, I added a carbon filter and let it go for 1-2 weeks and then put my snails back..
And I never had any additional losses. Thank goodness!! I thought I was going to lose my whole tank!
But I truly stand by the rid ich plus..
It worked for me. 100%
Good luck!
Hope your panda pulls through!!

Back
Top Bottom