Panda Cory swimming in circles most of the day.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

i3k

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have 4 panda corys in a 30gal. I've had them for over two months now and they have been doing good. About 3-4 days ago I noticed one of the corys started swimming in circles up against the side of the tank. All day long it will swim in 10" radius circles. When I feed the fish, this cory will come down and start digging around the gravel searching for food. Once the food is gone, it's back to swimming in circles non-stop. First thing I did was test for ammonia as I though the cory might be stressed. The test shows no ammonia in the water. The pH is around 7.6. Temperature is around 79/80 degrees. I did a 40% water change about 5 days ago and that's when the swimming in circles started. Is something in the water bothering the fish? I definitely don't think this is normal behavior.

This is in a 30gal established tank that has been running for years. Water changes are done every 12 days. I feed the fish tetra-color tropical granules, tetra-min flakes, bloodworms, tuebifex worms, and bottom feeders wafers...so they definitely get good nutrition.

nitrates level? I also noticed that greens are missing from the diet. My corries love green pea.

If your water parameters are in line, try adding a few more cories. They tend to stress out if they're not in a group. I started with three and they'd hide all the time. I added three more and they got a lot bolder and playful.

Today the cory wasn't swimming in circles most of the day. It started swimming in circles in the evening. Once I turned the lights out, the circular swimming stopped.

My nitrate levels are under 20. I do drop some boiled peas in the tank, but not often.

Is there a big difference in water parameters (GH, KH, pH) between your tank and the water you use for PWC (tap water?). It is very obvious but you did add water conditioner to the water you used for 40% PWC?

I use StressCoat as my water conditioner. Been using it for 8+ years now.

At the moment I have no way to test GH and KH. My pH however is the same in both, the tank water and tap water (7.5 - 7.6)

I haven't seen the cory swimming in circles today. Hopefully he won't swim in circles later tonight like last night.

I wouldn't worry about it if its only one, you must just have a strange cory. You could try changing from gravel to sand, it's much better on there barbels and they can dig in it. I have a strange albino cory, itll always act dead by laying face first in my moss, and wont move unless i drop a wafer in or poke him, then it returns to normal. You could also add some more, the more the marrier with cories.

Playing dead is normal for cories. Swimming in circles whole day is not. It sounds like he was stressed from something. It also seems that he is recovering.

Yea I'm also thinking he was stressed from something...but it's now 7:25 pm and I haven't seen him swim in circles all day. He is now swimming with the other cories and not in circles :)

Yea I'm also thinking he was stressed from something...but it's now 7:25 pm and I haven't seen him swim in circles all day. He is now swimming with the other cories and not in circles :)

Some of my cories did that for a few weeks after they were first introduced to the tank, haven't done it for ages now.

Back
Top Bottom