Panther grouper barely eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ncapitano

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I have had a panther grouper for about 4 months in a 450 gallon. He swims around and really enjoys the tank and does not show signs of sickness. However, when we first go him he would eat 5-8 pieces of shrimp/silversides etc.one after another. Now he has about one small piece a day and it looks like he’s having trouble swallowing it. All of the water parameters are fine and all the other fish seem to be doing well.

Any thoughts on why he isn’t eating as much/having trouble digesting?

What makes you think it is having trouble swallowing? If a fish isn't eating, it is stressed from something going on in the system. If there isn't bullying I'd want to see what the actual parameters are and try to figure out what recent change has happened in the tank.

What makes you think it is having trouble swallowing? If a fish isn't eating, it is stressed from something going on in the system. If there isn't bullying I'd want to see what the actual parameters are and try to figure out what recent change has happened in the tank.

He definitely isn’t getting bullied he is the biggest in the tank and everyone moves out of his way. For months after we got him he would literally eat 8 pieces of silversides/ shrimp at a time like one after another with no break.

Now he takes one piece of shrimp and takes a while to come back for a second and half the time doesn’t even take the second piece. We lost one fish to velvet about a month back but since treatment no one in the tank has any symptoms and we now have a UV sterilizer as well. He still takes the food just not as much as usual.

He does not show any symptoms of rapid breathing or sluggish or anything like that he swims back and forth like crazy. We have a 450 gallon and he’s about 7 inches now

The parameters:
Alk 9.5
Calcium 437
Mag. 1335
Nitrates 4.7
Phosphate 1.8
Temp 78
Salinity 34
Orp. 450
Nitrites 0
Ammonia 0

So, the issue is that he just isn't eating as much? Before we nit pick to look for a cause of a problem...could it just be that there isn't anything wrong and it just isn't eating as much as before? Other than there being a case of velvet off one fish...usually it takes a whole system.
I usually suggest large water changes to make sure things are square, but that isn't happening on this scale. I'm sure you have large protein skimming along with the UV sterilizer most likely. I am a big supporter of algae turf scrubbers too and you might lie to look into that for nutrient export since it is easy and cheap. I just don't see a reason to be concerned from what you've provided.

So, the issue is that he just isn't eating as much? Before we nit pick to look for a cause of a problem...could it just be that there isn't anything wrong and it just isn't eating as much as before? Other than there being a case of velvet off one fish...usually it takes a whole system.
I usually suggest large water changes to make sure things are square, but that isn't happening on this scale. I'm sure you have large protein skimming along with the UV sterilizer most likely. I am a big supporter of algae turf scrubbers too and you might lie to look into that for nutrient export since it is easy and cheap. I just don't see a reason to be concerned from what you've provided.

We managed to get the fish out of the display tank before he died and then also treated with kick ich and rally and prazi just in case. Unfortunately we can’t catch the grouper for a fresh water dip. Also this happened in December so if he had velvet im sure he’d be a goner by now. Really the concern is he isn’t eating as much. And from what I’ve read they eat like it’s going out of style.

He hasn’t been eating as much since December and he’s still alive so maybe we are worrying for nothing. From what I’ve read they either eat or they don’t.. but just weird that he eats only 1/8 as much and he’s double the size.

I've worked with a few panther groupers before and IME that is normal behavior. Sometimes they would be starving and eat a ton and other times I couldn't even get them to eat. I think fluctuations in appetite aren't anything to worry about.

So I think I remember the point in which he stopped eating... we feed him and a lion fish frozen shrimp (defrosted) but this specific time the lion fish spit out the piece of shrimp and the subsequent spit like there was a bad taste in his mouth. The panther grouper had the same reaction but continued to eat the piece anyways. He currently tries to eat but then spits it out because he can’t swallow. We put prazipro in the tank now. Could this be a sign of an internal infection?

Have you tried feeding something different? Is he not eating at all now? Prazipro will also greatly reduce appetite.

Have you tried feeding something different? Is he not eating at all now? Prazipro will also greatly reduce appetite.

So apparently he is eating and showing appetite but then spits it out. Going to try different food. Prazi helped him last time start swallowing. We’re already trying to put general cure/ metro focus sea chem in food

Ok, so he isn't eating then. I would definitely try something else. Sounds like he's being picky to me.

Back
Top Bottom