Parasitic bristle worm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claw Atticas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I went to feed my fish this morning, only to find my featherduster had shed its crown. After feeding the fish, I grabbed the featherduster crown, and placed it in a small container of aquarium water to get rid of it, and this red worm started crawling out of the crown as soon as it was placed in the container.
100_2850.jpg100_2853.jpg
The worm seems blurry in the picture, because he's completely covered in tiny white spines. His body is a pinkish red, with a big black oval in the center that was pulsing back and forth as it crawled out of the crown.

I've also seen this particular worm once before, a few months back. If they're dangerous (As they seemed to be to the featherduster), is there any way to help get rid of them?

Looks like a bristleworm but could be a fire worm. If it was a bristle, there is a good chance it was just doing it's job by cleaning up the crown. If it is a fire worm, toss it. Fire worms can be a threat but they usually don't come in the numbers that the common bristleworm does and I can't really tell from the photo which one it is. Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom