Partial Water Changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ainsleynee87

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello.
I have a 90L tropical fish tank.
How often should I be doing partial water changes?
I thought 10-15% every other day. Is this too much too often?

(I don't have any fish in my tank as of yet. I just want to research as much as possible before I begin)
(ideally I want 5 Neons and 5 Guppies in there)

Thanks in advance for your help :)

You will need to do a fishless cycle before you add any fish. For more information on fishless cycling you can peruse the sit, but here is a link to get you started.

Once you get your tank established you will need to do about a 25% water change every week.

My cycle is complete (thanks to the guide on here :))
And I'm hoping to get my new babies (neons) this weekend and then my other babies 10-14 days after so nothing spikes.

Awesome, I am glad you did research and fishless cycled instead of just throwing fish in!

You should have no problems with stocking since you are spreading it out. How high did you dose your ammonia?

I did some research and decided to cycle the tank with fish food.
I left it a week and my boyfriend tested it for me and the ammonia was a little high so, I did a 20% water change and left it another week. When he tested it again for me, the levels were perfect.

I was and still am not in any rush to 'throw' the fish in. I'd rather take it nice and steady and create a nicer living environment. I'm still deciding on ornaments and plants, so it could be a while before I put fish in.

I know it sounds silly, but how perfect would it be if when we moved into a new home, if it was nice, comfortable and enjoyable to live in? (I know that I'm slightly crazy!)

ainsley, your level of patience is rare in the fish hobby...you'll do good with any tank you build if you re this patient

Just make sure you're still putting ammonia/fish food in there if you're not going to be getting fish right away. Otherwise the bacteria you built during your cycle will starve and you'll have an uncycled tank yet again.

Back
Top Bottom