Paul's 40 Gallon Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I practiced control yesterday at the reef meet. LOL. Only can't home with 2 frags and a free gel filter that I can't wait to see how it works out. He only had 2 that he would get rid of and i got the darker one so not sure if it will work good or not for me. The frags I got are a nice but little Aqua Delight Acro and a Blue Tip Stag of some sort. I'll try to get some photos later. I almost got a nice tube anemone, but figured I'd hold off on that. I really need to focus on equipment upgrade. :)

Do you have pics of the new frags yet?? Good job with control but to the rest of us more frags and pics are better!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do you have pics of the new frags yet?? Good job with control but to the rest of us more frags and pics are better!

Yes, I just tried out this gel filter on the camera and I like it a lot! Here are the new pieces and some photos taken with the filter using only actinics. That Aqua Delight is a lot nicer in person! :)

Blue Tip Stag
kKwaiiC.jpg

Aqua Delight Acro
oGTyrgj.jpg

N8dMvCk.jpg

Beautiful pictures as always. I will gave to look that gel filter up. Never heard if it before.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks. I'm not sure where this guy ordered them from, but here is one I found real quick on eBay. The orange colored ones seem to be the ones for the blue actinic photos from what I know. Mine is a little darker than this, but this looks right. He had a couple shades and likes this the orange orange best. I got 2nd dibs so I got the darker one. Seems to work nice though.

Theatre Photo Lighting Colour Filter Gel Deep Orange 158 | eBay

Thanks. I'm not sure where this guy ordered them from, but here is one I found real quick on eBay. The orange colored ones seem to be the ones for the blue actinic photos from what I know. Mine is a little darker than this, but this looks right. He had a couple shades and likes this the orange orange best. I got 2nd dibs so I got the darker one. Seems to work nice though.

Theatre Photo Lighting Colour Filter Gel Deep Orange 158 | eBay

I actually found a set of them for a good price so I ordered them to play around with the different colors.

I actually found a set of them for a good price so I ordered them to play around with the different colors.

Very cool! Be sure to update me on the results with different ones. I'm new to all this, but have heard of them for a while now. They are pretty nifty on pulling out the color. Does wonders for cell phone pics. Hopefully you got an orange in the pack. ;)

Very cool! Be sure to update me on the results with different ones. I'm new to all this, but have heard of them for a while now. They are pretty nifty on pulling out the color. Does wonders for cell phone pics. Hopefully you got an orange in the pack. ;)

I can't await to get them and try them out. I think there is an orange in there. I will try to remember to post some sample picks.

I can't await to get them and try them out. I think there is an orange in there. I will try to remember to post some sample picks.

I also read that you can take a clear piece of glass or plastic and color it with a red marker to get similar results, not sure how true or clear this is.

Took some more photos today/tonight. All the actinic shots are taken with the gel filter.

Top Shot
NZXdtCs.jpg

Left Side Shot
NUFErML.jpg

Mini Maxi
u1f9EEo.jpg

uVZfc71.jpg

Acro Sarmetosa
tUIWQ6V.jpg

Aqua Delight Acro
McDYupD.jpg

Blue TIp Stag
lrPpcjG.jpg

Ice Fire Echinata (cant ever get a good shot of this beauty)
tGg3idK.jpg

Unknown Acro
hCG8jAh.jpg

Purple Bonsai Acro
V9m1Myk.jpg

These things do wonders on retrieving frags and small things that have fell under ledges that you cannot reach in the tank. Shape it house you need with a hook on the end and voila! Just used it to retrieve my yellow skirt mini maxi that got swept under in the current a free days ago. Not sure if he didn't like the new bigger one next to it or what.

Nite Ize, 18 in. Gear Tie in Bright Orange (2-Pack), GT18-2PK-31 at The Home Depot - Mobile

Those look like nice grabbers. I normally use my planting tools that I have for my planted tank. Unless Its a critter then I just use a gloved hand. ☺

Those look like nice grabbers. I normally use my planting tools that I have for my planted tank. Unless Its a critter then I just use a gloved hand. ☺

Basically all it is a grippy rubber coated wire. It worked for my where my hand could not possible fit. I think they make them even longer than this too. You gotta be careful using any heavy metals in your reef tank, they will corrode quickly and often are toxic to the inhabitants. That's why I gave this rubber coated one a try, it appeared to be sealed up good. We will see over time.

Basically all it is a grippy rubber coated wire. It worked for my where my hand could not possible fit. I think they make them even longer than this too. You gotta be careful using any heavy metals in your reef tank, they will corrode quickly and often are toxic to the inhabitants. That's why I gave this rubber coated one a try, it appeared to be sealed up good. We will see over time.

I may look for one of those at home depot. My planted tools are all stainless steel. I only use them if I drop something in the tank that I didn't want to be in the tank. Most times I use my rubber gloves.

I may look for one of those at home depot. My planted tools are all stainless steel. I only use them if I drop something in the tank that I didn't want to be in the tank. Most times I use my rubber gloves.

Stainless steel is Ok as long as it's not rusty and not in the salt water long.

Correction: The Monti I got a while back that I thought was a Superman Monti, is actually a Rainbow Monti. Was talking to the guy I got out from and I was telling him the Superman Monti was doing great and he corrected me on it. I'm not at all bummed out though, I would probably take it over the superman anyways, but they are both nice monti's.

7psOL0s.jpg

Can't wait for mine to start getting some colors going on like this one!

S9OiY5k.jpg

Correction: The Monti I got a while back that I thought was a Superman Monti, is actually a Rainbow Monti. Was talking to the guy I got out from and I was telling him the Superman Monti was doing great and he corrected me on it. I'm not at all bummed out though, I would probably take it over the superman anyways, but they are both nice monti's.

7psOL0s.jpg

Can't wait for mine to start getting some colors going on like this one.

S9OiY5k.jpg

That's a nice colorful Monti. I like that one better than the Superman Monti also. Do they grow fast?

That's a nice colorful Monti. I like that one better than the Superman Monti also. Do they grow fast?

Mine isn't growing fast, but it is finally starting to grow. It may be one of those once it gets comfy and starts to get growth, it takes off. We will find out.

7psOL0s.jpg

Can't wait for mine to start getting some colors going on like this one!

S9OiY5k.jpg

Wow! That's amazing color, hope yours takes off!

Back
Top Bottom