Paul's 40 Gallon Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finally got around to cleaning my poweheads yesterday. For some reason bubble algae congregates on top of them as well as on top of where my loc-line comes out from the return. They look so much better now. It's amazing how much more roomy the tank looks without the powerheads in it. Here are some photos.

b7790sD.jpg

pirhHc1.jpg

Trying to upload a video of the tank I took the other day during feeding. Ill post a link when its up. :)

Awesome video of your tank Paul. Really beautiful!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks. Just figured I haven't got any video in a while. Should have taken it after I cleaned the power heads and everything though. :)

Thanks! I don't have a tang...? I'm still waiting for that nano species to be found! ;)

Doh!!!
I just realized what happened. after yours was done it started another video of a 40 breeder that looked very similar, I just didn't notice when it changed...LOL :oops:

it was early and I hadn't finished my coffee yet....

yeah that's it, I didn't have my coffee yet...:whistle:

Doh!!!
I just realized what happened. after yours was done it started another video of a 40 breeder that looked very similar, I just didn't notice when it changed...LOL :oops:

it was early and I hadn't finished my coffee yet....

yeah that's it, I didn't have my coffee yet...:whistle:

I understand that LOL. A yellow tang should never be housed in a 40 gallon tank. :(

Not sure of the cause yet but I lost a chunk of the new wild acro within a day. It was fine the day before yesterday but yesterday when I looked at our it's as if all the 'flesh' had just fell off one one side of it. All I could think to do was remove the affected area and do the coral in an iodine dip. Whatever did out it happened fast! But no new signs on tissue loss on the remaining coral. Ask I had tome to get are cell photos.

Chunk I cut off.
sopBqJH.jpg

Remaining coral.
la5edIM.jpg

Paul, that's a beautiful video. You have made that 40 gallon look about twice the size with the way you have laid everything out. Sorry about the acro loss, it is frustrating when everything seems to be in good condition and you still lose something. Hopefully the rest of the colony will be okay and grow.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Wild colonies sure can be fickle. They don't look good, that's for sure.
Yea I suppose so. The colony left looks better than it does in that photo, not extended still yet, that the cell photo makes it look worse. Just that one stalk of it and I clipped and dipped immediately. Hopefully out bounces back,I liked the yellow tint ot has. I wonder if the vodka dosing could have upset it. I did cut down a hair past recommended. I'm gonna stay at 0.3 ml daily. Gonna do some test hopefully tomorrow of time allows. On a side note, I haven't seen my male dragonet in several days. I checked the sump and floor very thoroughly. Hope he's just hiding out.

Paul, that's a beautiful video. You have made that 40 gallon look about twice the size with the way you have laid everything out. Sorry about the acro loss, it is frustrating when everything seems to be in good condition and you still lose something. Hopefully the rest of the colony will be okay and grow.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks!

Yes, but read better results with the vodka. Just kinda a test trial.

I vodka dose, have been doing so for years now in my 204g tank. I dose 40mls a day, 20mls in the morning and 20mls in the evening.
The trick with the link you've found, I presume your going to go with the instructions by Melev, if so, let me inform you that it will take you 7 months to see any results, going by the book.
Instead, start out the first week using 1ml a day. After that go 2mls for 3 days, then go to 5mls for the rest of that week. then from then on, go up 5mls a week until you see the Nitrates come down, then keep the dose at that rate, until they come down to where you want to keep them, then at that point cut the maintenance dose in half, this will now be your daily routine maintenance dose. Keep in mind, that once you've gotten to 10mls, cut that dose in half, 5mls in the am and 5mls in the evening.
Another thins, don't worry about overdosing, its darn near impossible, unless you dump the bottle into the tank. the tank can handle a whole lot of vodka.
One other thing, your daily maintenance dose will be around 10ish once its all said and done, so you will probably get up to 15-25 a day to get those nitrates down.

I vodka dose, have been doing so for years now in my 204g tank. I dose 40mls a day, 20mls in the morning and 20mls in the evening.
The trick with the link you've found, I presume your going to go with the instructions by Melev, if so, let me inform you that it will take you 7 months to see any results, going by the book.
Instead, start out the first week using 1ml a day. After that go 2mls for 3 days, then go to 5mls for the rest of that week. then from then on, go up 5mls a week until you see the Nitrates come down, then keep the dose at that rate, until they come down to where you want to keep them, then at that point cut the maintenance dose in half, this will now be your daily routine maintenance dose. Keep in mind, that once you've gotten to 10mls, cut that dose in half, 5mls in the am and 5mls in the evening.
Another thins, don't worry about overdosing, its darn near impossible, unless you dump the bottle into the tank. the tank can handle a whole lot of vodka.
One other thing, your daily maintenance dose will be around 10ish once its all said and done, so you will probably get up to 15-25 a day to get those nitrates down.

My nitrates and phosphates aren't high, but I suspect some phosphate that is being undetected causing this bubble algae to grow. I also failed to mention I am using 40% / 80 proof vokda. I appreciate the info, but I'm gonna play it safe and stick with melevs chart for now.

Good luck, lemme know when you get tired of it 3 months down the road.
Ya just need the el cheapo Vodka from Walmart, making sure it has no flavoring to it, after that it doesn't matter which you use.

Here are some better photos of that wild acro colon. Its not loosing any more tissue since I cut that bad section off and dipped it, but its still not very happy either. Photo from last night and this morning.

mfAJV9R.jpg

BxVOtij.jpg

Not looking good at all for that wild Acro colony. Another chuck of it started loosing flesh the same as it did before. I fragged it for what I could. The very first frag that I have that broke when I got it is looking ok though. I think this one is a lose and not sure why yet. Maybe just too finicky like some of you said.

Back
Top Bottom