Paul's 40 Gallon Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks good Paul! Sorry to hear about the issueS :(. Hopefully the tank recovers well

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Understand about the photos. My kid said I needed a new phone when she saw my pics, and that it didn't do my tanks any favors by using my poor quality phone!

Hope all tank and tech issues resolve quickly! Love seeing the pics of your tank and the growth and new stuff you get. ;)

Sorry to hear about the losses Paul and the computer problems. Hope all goes well with the new frags and good luck with getting the desktop up and running.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks. Toshiba computers are bad. The motherboard fried in my. Now downgrading from windows 10 to vista on the old desktop which is getting cleared out. Photos soon though.

I hate computers as I always have problems so I know the pain,
sorry to hear about all the tank issues you've been having and as for bad picts Paul even your worst look better than mine, that Easter egg chalice is off the chart (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah Toshiba is not a good one to have. HP is a good company and good customer service. I hear you about Windows i have a laptop that has Windows 7 and my desktop came with Window 8 (worthless) in my opinion. I did upgrade my desktop to Windows 10 but haven't had a chance to really use it yet.

I hate computers as I always have problems so I know the pain,
sorry to hear about all the tank issues you've been having and as for bad picts Paul even your worst look better than mine, that Easter egg chalice is off the chart (y)

Thanks. I really hope this chalice does well, and keeps its current color.

Yeah Toshiba is not a good one to have. HP is a good company and good customer service. I hear you about Windows i have a laptop that has Windows 7 and my desktop came with Window 8 (worthless) in my opinion. I did upgrade my desktop to Windows 10 but haven't had a chance to really use it yet.

Windows 10 is alot better version of 8 with more bugs and glitches. Lol. HP is very good company and it what i originally wanted but we got the Toshiba for a great price (I see why..). I just got a Dell desktop from a buddy of mine that seems very nice. Only thing is I dont have a monitor so i use my TV for that. To hard to see as far as reading text and whay not, but great for NetFlix. Lol. I hope to have some photos up soon. Working on tank maintenance ATM.

Got rid of my 8 line wrasse yesterday. I never thought i would catch him, but was able to bait him with a flipped over snail and net. He has been bullying my orchid dottyback and wiping out ALL of my snails and hermits. Cool fish, but good riddance.

eating your snails bummer , I haven't had that problem yet but I know it will happen sooner or later at-least in the predator tank since I just added a dragon wrasse ,
but my 2 coris wrasses and Melanurus wrasse haven't ever touched a snail , I know the dragon is going to tear them up , my trigger don't even touch them ,

I just discovered in my new sump tons of mysiss shrimp maybe that's what my wrasses are chowing down instead of the snails , I have no idea where the mysiss came from as I have never added any into either of the 2 tanks since I moved them into my living room almost 2 years ago , I never noticed anything in my old sump either ,
at first I thought they were pods till they got a little bigger ,
now thinking about it I did add a new rock about a month ago with tons of red and blue mushrooms zoa's pallys and a few odd ball corals I haven't identified yet , I wonder if the mysiss hitchhiked in than ,

Windows 10 is alot better version of 8 with more bugs and glitches. Lol. HP is very good company and it what i originally wanted but we got the Toshiba for a great price (I see why..). I just got a Dell desktop from a buddy of mine that seems very nice. Only thing is I dont have a monitor so i use my TV for that. To hard to see as far as reading text and whay not, but great for NetFlix. Lol. I hope to have some photos up soon. Working on tank maintenance ATM.

Dell is a good company too. I had a Dell desktop for many years and never had a problem with it. We had them at work also until we switched over to HP. I would highly recommend keeping your anti virus software up to date to prevent getting any viruses and adware off the internet. Hope all goes well with it. Can wait to see the pictures.

Got rid of my 8 line wrasse yesterday. I never thought i would catch him, but was able to bait him with a flipped over snail and net. He has been bullying my orchid dottyback and wiping out ALL of my snails and hermits. Cool fish, but good riddance.

Sorry to hear that Paul. I don't like fish that bully other fish either. It makes me want to put them in a time out. Lol. I use to do that with my Cichlids. I had one that would bully everyone else and i would catch him and put him in a hang on container for about a week and when i let him go back into the tank he would behave him self for a while then it was back to bullying the other fish. I guess some fish are just don't like to play nice with others. Lol. ;o)

Ok quick update. I believe the issues I'm having is from a low pH my tank has been maintaining for a while. It was 7.8 which is borderline OK, but that is the only thing that was off really. Calcium was a tad low at 400 ppm. I have been using a 8.4 buffer as well as water changes. I traded in my red Trachy for a Potter's Angel as well today. Really wanted a fish that would eat some algae. The wrasse and dottyback are straight carnivores. I have had my eyes on this Potter's for a while now and nobody has bought him yet. Let's hope he don't turn into a coral nipper! Hopefully I can get lucky like Bribo in this case. (y) I managed to get a few photos tonight.

Potter's Wrasse (acclimation)
4NJ2pAT.jpg

New Acro with green polyps. (no ID yet)
OrsuaGY.jpg

Easter Egg Chalice
3rh0FNV.jpg

My absolute favorite LPS in my tank, this Blasto, is growing new heads!/I]
Dz4ikib.jpg

Beautiful potters Paul! Hopefully yours is an "angel" like mine is :D. Get it...lol. Gotta get him eating first though! He looks healthy though.

That blasto is amazing, I've never seen one that color!

eating your snails bummer , I haven't had that problem yet but I know it will happen sooner or later at-least in the predator tank since I just added a dragon wrasse ,
but my 2 coris wrasses and Melanurus wrasse haven't ever touched a snail , I know the dragon is going to tear them up , my trigger don't even touch them ,

I just discovered in my new sump tons of mysiss shrimp maybe that's what my wrasses are chowing down instead of the snails , I have no idea where the mysiss came from as I have never added any into either of the 2 tanks since I moved them into my living room almost 2 years ago , I never noticed anything in my old sump either ,
at first I thought they were pods till they got a little bigger ,
now thinking about it I did add a new rock about a month ago with tons of red and blue mushrooms zoa's pallys and a few odd ball corals I haven't identified yet , I wonder if the mysiss hitchhiked in than ,

Thats pretty cool to have mysis pop up in your tank like that, especially when you have wrasses! I have seen amphipods get to a decent size for a pod. Ive never seen my melanursus eat a snail, but he does closely examine them.

Beautiful potters Paul! Hopefully yours is an "angel" like mine is :D. Get it...lol. Gotta get him eating first though! He looks healthy though.

That blasto is amazing, I've never seen one that color!

Thanks man! He was swimming around with with the wrasse late yesterday, still shy though. Very pretty fish.

Tried to get some better photos of the Potter's but he wasnt making it easy for me. He did chow down on some LRS reef frenzy though! I also forgot that I took a photo of my mini-maxi anemone eating my orange spotted blenny. They are extremely sticky, but I cant believe it caught that blenny. RIP, he was a cool little fish.

PqowmN6.jpg

GiHSawJ.jpg

8RBIyt5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom