PC lighting....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr.Nate

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I was not happy with the new lighting I got, so I ordered a different PC light. I just got it, it's the Coralife 4X65 W with moon lights for my 55. My question is this.....how come it makes the water look green? Does 03 actinics + 10K bulbs = green? Any way I can change bulbs to make the light more white or blue? I've asked this question before, but didn't really get the response I was looking for. BTW, the light before had 12K and 03 actinics and it REALLY looked green! So it's definately better.

Also, the moon lights are much better on this fixture.....looks great.

Also, I tried to put my NO lights up there with it, doesn't really fit but does make the water look a tad less green.

Don't know what to tell you...I run a single actinic03 and 10,000 96watter's over my tank, and it's not remotely green.

to me it sounds more like your water has free floating green algae...however I'm only familiar with that in FW tanks, not SW.

*edit*
I should clarify this: I am NOT using a coralife fixture, or coralife bulbs...just bulbs that 'should' be similar to yours.

I have the exact same lighting as you, mine looks clear/blue, really nice. It is weird that yours look green, maybe there's something wrong with the bulbs, give the company a call and see what they have to say...

Well. I did call hellolights......very, very friendly guy. He agreed with the above, he's never had anyone tell him they looked green. He told me to let my eyes adjust to it because coloring is very subjective. We'll see. I guess I'm just comparing it to my 36W NO light that came with my tank that looks very crisp and white. I wish I knew the Kelvin rating of that bulb! I'd get one of the same rating, but it doesn't say on there....just says phillips 36W bulb. It's the bulb that came with the tank....it's an oceanic tank. Any guesses on the Kelvin rating of this bulb?

do you change your water often? Sometimnes old water is yellow tinted by organics and can affect the color of the light. Yellow and blue make green. Try and run some carbon for a few days.

I do 20% changes every two weeks and always run carbon but haven't replaced it in awhile.....will try that. Maybe I'll post a pic on here of my tank if I can figure out how to do it and you can all judge for yourselves.

Alright, here are some pictures (I know, not the best) but you can decide for yourself which looks the best and then offer any suggestions why you think the PC's make the water look green. Any feedback would be appreciated!

PC only:

img_424394_0_2e01dd1cf986db39f99741de7f90b75f.jpg

PC and NO together:

img_424394_1_03e0a8ce8b8c34e75a90363cb6264f7c.jpg

NO only:

img_424394_2_fa400c257eb63668d20f4706fdcb0789.jpg

I've never posted pics before, so I hope it works![/img]

Well it looks like the PC/NO is the best look for sure...

Too green. Call the guy back again!

I'm not sure but it looks like your tanks in the middle of the room, right? How does it look at night with less daylight in the room? Try putting something against the back temporarily and see if you have the same problem. Sometimes shadows and reflections can make things look funny. Do you use u/v to clarify the tank, after i bought mine the tank clarity was unbelievable. The u/v gets rid of bacteria and free floating algae as well as parasites in the water.

Back
Top Bottom