Pea Gravel/River Gravel as substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsPeel

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is anyone presently using pea gravel/ river gravel (like the stuff found in your local HD garden department) as substrate. And how is it working out for the stock in your tank? Anything you don't like about it?

i dont really like the color. its a dark brown and makes ur tank look alot darker then it is. thats pretty much it

I bought pea sized gravel and mixed it with larger gravel all from the LFS. The colors are overall light, but some rocks are dark. I really like the look of the tank and it gives the fish stuff to move around while looking for leftovers.

My only problem is that a lot of stuff got trapped underneath it. A whole lot of junk would come up out of seemingly clean gravel. I am glad I made the switch to sand, it is much easier to see waste.

In the past I went to the local Ready-Mix plant and got a couple of 5 gallon buckets of pea gravel. They said I could have it for free when I told them it was for a fish tank. I had to rinse the dickens out of it though.

You'd have to rinse it like crazy, but it would work. Actually, I noticed that Menards here got a new brand of river rock that I thought would look good in a tank. I don't like the pea gravel as much, too plain.

I have peagravel in a couple tanks spread thin over the UgF plates. It seems not to get algae as two of the light colored gravels..b ( i took ahandfull to test how dirty it rinsed out. Not bad)
I have sand in most now..easier for the cories and snails to keep house.

Back
Top Bottom