Peacock Gudgeon, fungus or Parasite???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I live in San Diego, so no to a lot of rainfall, unfortunately.
Nontheless am going to give stresscoat a shot.
I have moved loach and guppies to another tank as suggested by Brookster123 and Delapool. I don't have time to make a QT. I am a mom with kids that keep me running around. Plus my husband will kill me if I set up another tank.
Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Api makes a few good meds, petco caries them at a fair price, the beauty of a qt is its a small tank so meds go a bit further, your 10 is now your hospital tank, dose the meds full blast and things should get better. I know the whole wc thing sounds redundant.. it's really the only thing allowing me to keep the fish I do. I give you a hard time about stocking?? If I told strangers my stock they'd call me crazy too. It's all about the amount you're willing to put in to maintain the tank..gudgeons are awesome, I almost got some for my 10 but I fell for the apisto panduros instead, my lfs even said a 10 was pushing it?? Nahh I live for changing water.. makes me forget about how much I actually have to do for my real life! You'll nail this down, what do you use for water conditioner?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I live in San Diego, so no to a lot of rainfall, unfortunately.
Nontheless am going to give stresscoat a shot.
I have moved loach and guppies to another tank as suggested by Brookster123 and Delapool. I don't have time to make a QT. I am a mom with kids that keep me running around. Plus my husband will kill me if I set up another tank.
Thanks for the reply.

:)

Do you think ich is possible or definitely out? If we can eliminate that is just as good almost.

It's not ich.. dela. You said it yoirself, dragon sold it, the slime coat is reacting to something. I've actually seen similar instances while fishing on a semi-polluted river. No offense op, it's almost like they're trying to shed their skin?? Are the eyes clouded?

Ok, no rain. That doesn't mean there isn't something else making the slime coat slough off. From the picture it does look like the eyes are cloudy.

Are you using test strips to test you water and when you test are you testing before or after the water change?

I'm racking my brain here. Usually with the PGs, it's an issue of water, period. Their slime coat is very thin and reacts strongly to ph swings, high amounts of trAtes, trItes, ammonia or some type of contaminant in the water (like extra chemicals). I lost all of my breeding pairs because of our water treatment plant adding more chemicals due to the extra water from our flooding last fall. Their amazingly not very disease prone in my experience, I've seen them healthy while other tankmates were riddled with ich or velvet.

Ok I use prime water conditioner. Gave a good dose of stress coat. See if that makes a difference.
Shook the heck out of the bottle of nitrate tester and was between 5 and 10 ppm. My bad. Never gave it that good of a shake before. Fingerscrossed.
Thank you all for the help.

Yeah I don't know the chemistry behind it for exactly why but I think nitrate is definitely annoying/needs the shaking for the test to work :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Their eyes are not cloudy.

It's not ich.. dela. You said it yoirself, dragon sold it, the slime coat is reacting to something. I've actually seen similar instances while fishing on a semi-polluted river. No offense op, it's almost like they're trying to shed their skin?? Are the eyes clouded?

Hmm, in that case an extra water change (which usually I do as first thing) may be a bad call if they are reacting to the water quality. I'd try contacting the water board and see if anything is going on. Here we get slightly different water between summer and winter even.

If it were ich it would've spread to others. It's odd that it hasn't spread. Some immune response only affecting those fish.

Sorry, I have no good advice. You'd have to pick between antibiotics, fungal, or external parasites. Did it develop overnight? Or spread over time?

Hi, Love your username.
It seemed to appear overnight. Either that or whatever it is is just so small that I did not notice it.

None. Down two. :( don't think the others are going to pull through.

Happy News re: Peacock Gudgeon parasite

Update...
I finally figured out that these little worms were a type of body fluke. After trying everything mentioned here and a few other things, I was able to find a hand drawn picture by a someone on another site. He had said he used Hikari PraziPro and that it worked almost instantly. So I set out to find some. Luckily my favorite little LFS had it in stock.
I put it in the tank and it seems like 20 min they were gone. One of my little guys had been clamping his pectoral fin really bad and I wasnt sure if it was related or not but about 4 hours later his fin was almost completely normal.
I ended up loosing two fish to this parasite but am happy to say I was able to save the rest.

Heyy, good news!!!

Back
Top Bottom