Pearl gourami aggression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buzzkiller

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well about a month ago I bought a male pearl gourami. Lately hes been harassing my rasboras and to help got him 2 female pearl gouramis. This did not turn out so well. He has been relentlessly chasing and nipping both females for the last day. This morning my females started to show signs of stress and did not look to good. I put my male pearl in a floating breeding cage. I just do not see the male getting along with my females and not only that he chases my other fish in the tank. I'm prepared to return my male :sorry: even though he is so pretty. I'm seeking some guidance from all you wise people on aquarium advise on what to do? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Some gourami are just psychotic. There's really nothing you can do in cases like that but return him in exchange for a different one.

What size tank is this?

My first set of pearls 1m and 1f didn't go well after the first few days. He was so aggressive and wouldn't let the female feed. I ended up swapping em for a new male and 2 more females. They have been fine for over 9 months now. Such amazing fish.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wow. I might owe a few people an apology... I have 3 pearls in a 55 g, a male and 2 females... And because mine do well, I guess I thought most would. Mine all came from the same store tank, and came here together, wonder if that's why. I was considering adding another female someday, now maybe I won't. Might upset the apple cart! I do think it's right, now and then there are just psycho. ones. Anyway, I'd try again with a different fish. They are so lovely. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Well here a little update and what I plan to do about this. I put my large male in a 10 gallon QT tank. The 2 females are doing fine now in the 55 and seem to enjoy each other. The 2 females are half the size of the male though so what I plan to do is once my females get bigger I'll try to reintroduce them to my male. If that doesn't work I will rehome him. Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom